Bathroom walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am gutting my bathroom (first time done anything like this) and have some questions about preparing the walls for tiling. Two walls are stud and two are brickwork (stripped back).

What is the best way of covering the respective walls prior to tiling ie can the brick walls be plasterboarded?

Also a shower is going in one corner where a stud wall meets a brick wall, both walls will be tiled floor to ceiling, should wbp plywood be used on the stud wall?

Cheers for any advice

Sponsored Links
sounds to me you need to dot and dab .Plaster board adhesive in 6 lge bads on a 6x3 sheet then stick it to the brick wall level as you go and tile next day on a flat wall.

Sponsored Links
Better with full size 8'x4'x half inch thick sheets if poss,, (less joints, thicker),,, although i've used the thinner smaller/mini sheets (B n Q), when plaster patching small areas,,,, but i know what you mean about getting bigger sheets transported.

Roughcaster.

I wouldn’t use ply. Always use Moisture Resistant plasterboard in bathrooms but in wet areas (inside shower cubicles & around baths) you must tank it before tiling or, preferably, use tile backer boards. Use a quality trade flexible adhesive, grout not cheap DIY shed offerings if you want your tiling job to last. Use full size boards if you can even if it means getting them delivered.

Thanks Guys,

Richard C

Tile backing boards do you mean Aquapanel type boards?

If using these you do not need plasterboards?

Cheers

Both are cement based and water resistant to an extent, and yes you would use these in place of plasterboard. But for the cost just board with regular plasterboard and tank it.

Both are cement based
Plasterboard is not cement based, it’s made from Gypsum powder & will dissolve in water. Moisture Resistant PB is injected with Silicone but even that will break down if constantly exposed to water/moisture.

and water resistant to an extent,
Wedi & Marmox are waterproof; Aquapanel & Hardibacker are classed as water resistant because they will absorb water they are, however, considered to give adequate protection for use in a domestic environment in all but wet rooms where water proof boards should be used. Cement based boards wont break down when exposed to water/moisture & remain dimensionally stable when wet.

and yes you would use these in place of plasterboard. But for the cost just board with regular plasterboard and tank it.
Not much in it when you factor in the cost of the tanking kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back