Bathroom Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Fellas,

I have removed tiles (and half the wall...) in my bathroom. I am going to get is plastered before having it re-tiled.

1. should i only get it "bond" plastered or do i need a finish coat??

2. i have seen some people recommending that walls around baths and showers are "tanked" before the tiles are put up . Is this necessary?? The original wall tiles (including the ones from the original build 50 years ago) look like they were put on with cement render straight onto the bare wall.

cheers Matt

Sponsored Links
1. Yes you need it skimming.
2. It's not essential but it is recommended. It's more of a necessity when you've got small tiles - the more grout area, the more chance you have of greater amounts of moisture damage.
Yes they used to fit them like that, isn't it fun trying to remove them? :eek:

Thanks Gcol,

i am sure the plasterer will know what he's doing, but it's good to know what to ask for.

cheers Matt

Steel mesh & cement about an inch thick on my bathroom, built in the 40s.

Sponsored Links
TheBigMatt
do as Gcol says regarding skimming , its just the drying etc with tiling ..lol ;)

JonB

lol..lol..lol..lol had it , have you seen a wood lathe turn to blocks of straw ..lol

or a cob wall upstairs from a 2 clay brick start

worse was the cinder block turning too mortored rubble/brickbat

Yeah great grand dad builders they Arent load bearing BUT ..FFS..lol...lol..lol..
an we think cowboy/dodgy builders are a modern thing ....lol
funny thing I saw was a time team show an it showed these roman builders had built a wall , as the excavated as they presenting about the Master Builders they were ...
an it turn out the wall was built on Dung ..lol ...lol...lol...lol.:) :) :)

PilotPete
Thanks for that ,
being a sad pathetic loser I am , I read all tiling stuff ..lol
but that paper ...nah
if it was in the The Sunday Sport ..lol..;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back