Bathroom Zoning / IP65 question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just selecting some lights to be fitted in my bathroom, and have decided to go for some downlighters, as due to the ceiling being an odd shape these will give the best light.

Some of the ones I want to put in, will be above the window, and far away from any possible sources of water, or splashing, do these still need to be IP65 rated, or will it be ok to use a standard 12v downlighter?

I realise the ones near the shower will need to be IP65, but when they're about 3x the cost of a normal one, I dont want to fit too many of them.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
EddyP,

See the link for the 17th edition zones for bathrooms.

My understanding is that anything beyond Zone 2 [they have dropped zone 3 in the 17th apparently] wouldn't need an IP65 or similar.

If cost is an issue, there are IP65 downlights [12v] on the market for less than £4 each

As I understand it [and I await being corrected by the expert sparks on here], the shaver socket and 12v [SELV] lighting can be installed but all other devices must have RCD or MCBO protection.

LINK:

http://www.diydata.com/electrics/bathroom_electrics/bathroom_electrics.php[/url]

I was intending to RCD protect anyway, as I havent got the cabling 50mm deep in the walls etc...

Looks like I just need a couple of IP65 units for next to the shower cubicle then.

I'm obviously looking in the wrong place (screwfix) if its possible to get them for £4 each.

Thanks for the info :)

Try TOOLSTATION.

Dunno if the IP65 lights are any good but they are shown as £3.65 each.

Sponsored Links
I would have though most bathrooms were more than 2.25m high anyway, so a downlighter would be outside the zones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back