IP65 Downlights, Fire rated or non fire rated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new house and are looking at installing some new bathroom lights. The ones i was looking at was the downlights for the bathroom, but im not sure whether i need what people are calling IP65 bathroom downlights ? And also do they need to be fire rated or non fire rated? Can anybody explain the reasons for using IP65 Downlights and fire rated downlights ? As they seem to be a lot more expensive then non fire rated downlights? New to all this so any help will be a huge help!

Thanks

Terry

Sponsored Links
How high are the bathroom ceilings? Will any of the lights be over a bath or shower?

Are the ceilings fire rated? What is above your bathroom? (another flat, just the loft etc)

Does your consumer unit have RCD protection covering the bathroom lighting?

And don't forget that if you make a swiss cheese out of your ceiling, then all of the damp air from the bathroom will get drawn into the roof, where it will condense on the roof timbers. And wet timber ROTS. You do not want that.

So another factor will be to select lights that comply with Building Regulations Part C = Resistance to contaminants and moisture.

but im not sure whether i need what people are calling IP65 bathroom downlights ?
That would depend on whether you are using high pressure water jets in the location.
And also do they need to be fire rated or non fire rated?
Unlikely but that would depend on the fabric of the ceiling and what rooms are above
Can anybody explain the reasons for using IP65 Downlights and fire rated downlights ?
Safety against ingress of dust and water to electrical components and the prevention of the spread of fire
they seem to be a lot more expensive then non fire rated downlights? New to all this so any help will be a huge help!
They generally are more expensive, as safety costs.
Hope this info was helpful.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for the advice i have gone ahead and purchased some lights from an online seller :confused: , hope this is the right decision usually like just popping down to the local B and Q. Thanks for the help and ill let you know how the installation goes!!!

haven't received the downlights yet so not sure what there like! but the ones i purchased are from http://quickbit.co.uk/ when i receive them and there installed which should be Tuesday or Wednesday now, if all goes to plan ill let you know what there like!

If you got the fire-rated IP65 fittings they should be OK. When you said "new house" did you mean new-build or just new to you? If the ceiling is plasterboard you can use the downlighters, if it's and older house with lathe and plaster you'll be asking for trouble - these fittings were never designed to go into that sort of ceiling construction.

pj

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back