IP65 Rated Downlights / Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies if this is not the right forum, I've tried the search facility but can't quite get the answer I need.
I had my 4 downlights in the bathroom upgraded to IP65 fire rated downlights, previously I left 3 inches clear of insulation around each downlight. Now these are enclosed can I put insulation around them or do I still need to leave the space around them ?

Thanks,

Marvin.

Sponsored Links
No you still need to keep the insulation away from them. They are designed to stop the spread of fire through the hole they sit in, rather than being fire-proof. Which is why they're only normally used as fire-protection between two separate dwellings, e.g. in a block of flats.

I had some other electrical work done and it was suggested, I was hoping that we'd be able to close up the spaces, the bathroom is the coldest place in the house, oh well.
Thanks for your speedy reply.

Best Regards,
Marvin.

Sponsored Links
Now these are enclosed

Not really. They may be enclosed from underneath, but have holes in the top for ventilation and for the wiring. You can't cover up these holes, nor cover any part of the fitting in insulation.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with fitting fire rated downlights.

Unless you've been told you must have them when there was nothing wrong with your old fittings....

I was hoping that we'd be able to close up the spaces, the bathroom is the coldest place in the house
1) Remove recessed luminaires.

2) Repair holes and make good.

3) Install luminaires which do not require you to perforate a building member separating conditioned and unconditioned spaces.

4) Reinstate full insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back