Bathroomlight switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a bathroom light switch with a brushed steel one. The switch is outside the bathroom by the door. When I had a look it is actually a double pole isolator not an ordinary light switch. I can't see the reason for this. There are only two lights on the switch and the switch is definitely part of the lighting circuit. Can I change the switch for an ordinary light switch and if I do is it acceptable to connect the neutral side of the circuit with a connector block. There is plenty of room in the back box

The installation was professionally done in about 1990, it has the old double D fittings on it.

Ps I know the steel switch plate needs earthing, which is not a problem.

Sponsored Links
If there is an extractor fan connected to the light then that is why it is a double pole & must remain that way.

jj4091 said:
If there is an extractor fan connected to the light then that is why it is a double pole & must remain that way.

There is nothing on it but the lights. Does that mean I can change it

Sponsored Links
There is a red and black wire to the in side of the switch and two red and black wires to the out side of the switch which, so far as I can tell, run to the two seperate wall lights in the bathroom. The cable is all run in 1.5mm lighting cable and is definitely on the lighting circuit MCB at the CU. There are no other electrical appliances in the bathroom apart from a shaver socket which must be on a separate circuit because, it stays live when the lighting circuit is off and is run in 2.5mm ring main cable.

So far as I can tell there has never been an extractor fan in the bathroom and if there was it has gone now.

Thanks for the help so far :).

You need to establish that the red & black "in" are live & neutral (with a multi meter) & if so you can do what you proposed.The wall lights in the bathroom should be rated correctly for any zone they are in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back