Batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I know this isn't really DIY question, but nevermind!

I have a Wet Cell Battery that I has been in my Garage for over a year. The Cells were dry, so I topped the battery up with water and put it on charge for about 6 hours using a 5A Charger. I now get 12.5v accross the terminals.

Am I right in thinking that it is still flat? Although the voltage is there I think the ortonomy (I think thats the word) will not be present.

Does anyone know how to revive a dry Wet Cell Battery?

Sponsored Links
is it a car battery?

there is a special charger called an optimate which is said to recover neglected batteries. I have not needed one myself but I have heard good reports from people who have.

A word of warning:
Recharging old lead/ acid batteries is very dangerous. They produce a nice mix of hydrogen and oxygen which can explode very easily (I have seen it done) and bits of battery and acid go everywhere. Always leave the battery outside when charging and switch the charger on/ off remotely. i.e. at the other end of an extension lead, away from the area to avoid any sparks.

Generally batteries that are left discharged are useless afterwards.

Use Google! there are hundreds of sites with battery testing info. Why should we retype info that is already available.

In general, I would suggest bin it and get a new one. They are not very expensive and you will know that it will be reliable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back