Battery Experiance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice to others:

mazda6 ts2 2.0 petrol. Dec 2023 Cold day..

Battery dying slow cranking RAC confirms battery weak, swopped out after 7 years of use (pretty good).

Battery pulled out of car at 1pm, replaced at 2pm all was well. did not drive it as WFH.

Its cold and traffic was busy where o love, so opted to leave the car outside house and just start the engine for 20 mins, al good.

Sat morn, decide to test the car so 2 standard error codes will disappear, 0c start the car all ok, warm up and drive off to test it, notice idle was not right, during my drive the car cut out 3 times when slowing down or stopping at junctions and traffic lights , this happened in first 25 mins. Proceeded to drive home , all ok.

Googled the issue , found its likely car was relearning from ecu that caused this plus the cold temp did not help. All ok now.

I did not have this problem when i last replaced the battery in summer 2016.

Sponsored Links
Some advice to others:

mazda6 ts2 2.0 petrol. Dec 2023 Cold day..

Battery dying slow cranking RAC confirms battery weak, swopped out after 7 years of use (pretty good).

Battery pulled out of car at 1pm, replaced at 2pm all was well. did not drive it as WFH.

Its cold and traffic was busy where o love, so opted to leave the car outside house and just start the engine for 20 mins, al good.

Sat morn, decide to test the car so 2 standard error codes will disappear, 0c start the car all ok, warm up and drive off to test it, notice idle was not right, during my drive the car cut out 3 times when slowing down or stopping at junctions and traffic lights , this happened in first 25 mins. Proceeded to drive home , all ok.

Googled the issue , found its likely car was relearning from ecu that caused this plus the cold temp did not help. All ok now.

I did not have this problem when i last replaced the battery in summer 2016.
Did the battery need programming to the car?

Not sure on that model, what year? But sounds like the issue

Nope, i think he long time out of the car and cold temps made it worse, its fine now, 2009 model.
Cutting out at junctions is not a battery issue (unless it's an old and very dead 1).

Charging issue possibly, hence the possible programming.

New battery may have been low on power, and a bit weak starting wise until some more charge in it. Ot there are some other issues, not yet sorted.

Ecu relearning is a bit of a red herring in this case I think

Sponsored Links
Some cars have a re learning procedure but i cant answer if yours does, usually occurs pretty quickly when the car is full up to temperature.
If its ok now i wouldnt worry, i would research the coding aspect though as it may lead to incorrect charging.

UPDATE:

All, is was indeed a relearning phase during very low external temps. All ok. now.

Back