Battery PPE advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a new Scissor lift at work and as part of my duties ill be doing some basic maintenance/checks on the equipment. i realise this isnt a DIY question.

Talking to the training guy today about this and we got on about the lead acid batteries that the equipment uses. The levels in these batteries need to be maintained. He recommended that when checking the battery terminals and venting them after charging that i use Gauntlets and full face visor as part of my PPE. Apparently the manufacturer takes this line aswell. The instructor told me he knew of a few cases where the batteries had exploded seriously injuring the personel. At first the need for this extra PPE sounded extreme to me but if its recommended then going down this route is fine with me.

having never used full face visor/gauntlets before i was after some advice on what to look for or where others go to get there's. ive only really heard of the DNO guys using this kit before so would appreciatte any comments on standards the kit should conform to or any comments people would think relevant.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at RS, as far as I know they do a whole book of health and safety stuff, with pics and advise.

May be worth a look but not the cheapest to buy from.

if working with battery acid you need to have water availale to wash off any splashes immediately from skin and especially from face and most of all eyes.

You can get little dispoosable sachets of sterile saline for washing out eyes, these should be in the FA kit very close to where you are working. they are not expensive, and you can also get an eyewash station with a bigger bottle. Speed is essential as acid eats you in minutes. It is no use waiting for an ambulance, you have to start washing immediately and carry on until they arrive. i have never had to use one of these but did a fair amount of FAW. I hope you never need to use it either.

Sponsored Links
As john D says eye stations good idea , even if not compulsory.

At the Te*co distribution centre in northampton.

where they charge the fork lifts there are wall mounted eye stations,

They even have a full size walk in shower for severe emergencies.

good point john, our first aiders are trained in this obviously, thinking about it though the eye wash station nearest the equipment storage point isnt awfully 'near'. will put a new station in place as part of the planning for this as its well worth while.

have had a look at RS components and the gauntlets dont seem to be a problem, its not as if im protecting against shock, more of a hazard substance issue.

the face visor is more of a concern, should it meet any relevant standard or be of a certain construction/material for this type of application is more where im going. you want to make sure the thing would protect you should the worst happen.

IIRC the protective gear we used to use when working with batteries was a full face visor, rubber gauntlets and a felt apron. All were to protect against acid splashes.

Overcharging may result in a build up of flammable gases around batteries, or pressure in 'sealed' batteries.

Turn off chargers etc. before disconnecting. Less chance of an arc igniting hydrogen gas when you disconnect them.

One guy left a dustcoat hanging on the back of the battery room door when a new (open cell) battery was installed and charged for the first time. By the time he remembered where he left it, all that was left were the seams.

As an apprentice we used to top up hundreds, if not thousands of these on UPS systems.
For the PPE we used to wear an apron, full face visor and marrigold rubber gloves as a minimum.
Batteries of this type give of hydrogen which is where the risk is, if they are in a well ventilated area this can reduce the risk. Also charge the machine where there are no sources of ignition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back