Baxi 50/5 backboiler keeps turning off and not restarting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Our 8 years old boiler has just started playing up,we noticed a prob the other morning after realising we had no hot water,I checked the boiler and the pilot light was out,after checking the thermostat,turning the timer to continuous I reset the boiler by turning the dial to off position then back on after a min and the boiler fired up? after running for 20 min it then shut itself down again? I then restarted it again and yes after a short while it turned it self off again?

I phoned my engineer who came out cleaned,serviced and checked the boiler then gave it a clean bill of health?in the last few days the boiler has worked intermittently its worked on 3 full timer settings(a couple of mornings and evenings) the other times its either not started or its started and then shut its self off?(I have seen 3 different colours from the neon light green,amber and red)reading the manual I'm obviously resetting the boiler each time is fails to work but why.......?

Any ideas? Please???

Thx Tony :confused:

Sponsored Links
sounds like the boiler is the same as the 51/5, you need a pcb, boiler stat and a gas safe installer which is a must, gas pressure and safety checks need to be carried out. your boiler also takes oxygen for the pilot from the flue hood and if POC's are not being cleared boiler will shut down.

Thx for the answers, so it either a Faulty gas valve or a PCB/Boiler thermostat?
The boiler was serviced 7 days ago so I guess the gas pressure and safety checks were passed ok?and the damn thing still works when it wants to(about 40% of the time, my house is currently warm atm lol)

PS so there could be 3 possible reasons,gas value,PCB or boiler thermostat? but which one do I replace first?can the 3 components be diagnosed in situ?

also the boiler seems to fire up more often using the morning/evening timer settings(but not always)but when u use the 'continuous' settings I get the Red light???

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back