Baxi Bermuda fire surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a very old baxi Bermuda back boiler and fire, and whilst not the most efficient boiler, does seem to run on and on.

Our annual use is very low for both fire and boiler as we heat our water by Immersion using our solar pv array, therefore, we do not want to spend lots of money on a replacement boiler and fire.

We have not had it serviced for some time now and I feel that if we are to keep it we should get this done, however, the wooden fire trim which hides all the ugly bits has been damaged so we have been using it without the fire trim.

I understand you must NOT operate the boiler without the actual fire attached as it is one unit but is there any problems operating it without the wooden trim cover?

I hope someone can help and give advice. We do have a fire guard to keep little hands away from hot parts.

Kind regards,

Andrew.

Sponsored Links
We have not had it serviced for some time

That worries me especially as you mention " little hands".
Using it without the front cover to me is a no no. Some Baxi fires contain mains voltage components and the cover also prevents contact with the boiler electrics. The appliance is considered incomplete and therefore should not be used in that situation IMO.
What is the exact model that you have? There is a possibility to replace the front case.

Thanks for your advice,

Yes there is mains voltage but this is well out the way of little hands and the fireguard prevents anyone getting too close, I was really asking on safety grounds regarding the ventilation etc which surely would not be compromised if the trim cover is off.

I do not want to spend lots on a new front as we may convert to a new Baxi system boiler in the next two to three years.

That's my advice, take it or leave it, your choice. The case can't be that bad that it can't be patched up for now.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice,

I do not want to spend lots on a new front as we may convert to a new Baxi system boiler in the next two to three years.

TWO to THREE years!! With a fire and no case? Is the rest of the house as glamorous?

Seriously, you won;t get a different answer to that you received, although you re right in saying ventilation is not compromised. Back Boilers NEED servicing - arguably more so than modern ones.

Do you have a CO alarm?

The fire and boiler is in a room we rarely used and are unlikely to use much until the house gets remodelled as we are saving instead of loans.

yes we have co alarm and have the stick on tabs as well. No signs / signals of any co escape. I have also performed a smoke test myself and it vents well.

So if I get it serviced is the gas engineer likely to condemn it without the cover on?

To give you any indication of how little use it gets, our monthly gas bill inc hob cooking is approx £10 as we get our water from solar.

Andrew.

although you re right in saying ventilation is not compromised.

With respect I would disagree.

The appliance is designed to be used with a case, and will draw its combustion air through the open base area and the side vents (if appropriate for that model). Omitting the case may affect the airflow both of combustion air into the appliance, air distribution for burning and heat transfer possibly leading to some parts getting hotter than designed for, and combustion products out of the appliance.

If the appliance is really used as little as the OP suggests, it will be no hardship to disconnect it completely.

although you re right in saying ventilation is not compromised.

With respect I would disagree.

The appliance is designed to be used with a case, and will draw its combustion air through the open base area and the side vents (if appropriate for that model). Omitting the case may affect the airflow both of combustion air into the appliance, air distribution for burning and heat transfer possibly leading to some parts getting hotter than designed for, and combustion products out of the appliance.

If the appliance is really used as little as the OP suggests, it will be no hardship to disconnect it completely.

You are correct with your final comment, but if you knew the "map" of the interior, you would know that the vents on he case pretty much coincide with the available routes around the fire.

Many thanks for replies,

We have decided to studd wall around the fire with a false chimney breast (ours are external on a semi detatched) put the fire front back on in winter when in use and take it off and cover the entire unit through the summer when never used extinguishing the pilot and isolating the gas before doing so.

All tud work and paneling will conform to manufactures fitting instructions ensuring there is a minimum of 76mm clearance around the entire fire housing as stated by Baxi themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back