Baxi Combi 80e "Hot then Cold" Fault on Fan or Flu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

We have a problem with our baxi combi 80e boiler. It heats up to about 50-60DGRS C and then cuts out flashing fault on flu or fan. The boiler works find when the front cover is removed (but this is not safe.)

We have had two plumbers out this is what they said :-

1/ There was a problem with the fan. He changed the fan and the boiler was not fixed. He then tried to sell us a new boiler.

2/ There was a blockage in the flu, he then opened up the whole flu panels to find no blockages. Confused he tried to sell us a new boiler.

The boiler is only 5 years old. We are calling out another plumber this week and I was wandering whether anybody has any experience so I can steer him in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Sponsored Links
Oh and forgot to say the heatings working fine, good for the winter but could do with having a warm shower :).

Jack

Its always better to call a boiler engineer than a plumber!

Its going to be a very simple fault but will need a competent registered boilerengineer.

I hope you did not pay for the idiot who changed the fan but did not solve the problem.

Tony

possibly a pcb or the air pressure switch dropping out. any venturis cleaned out? hard to tell without being there to link things out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response Tony, Would your recommend trying to get baxi to send out one of their engineers or find an independent one?

Jack

It needs to have the air pressure switch, tubes and pitot connections tested before looking at the pcb, like Agile says its likely to be something simple.
John

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I just rang baxi and they charge 269 pounds to get the boiler repaired with 1 years guarantee and if they can't fix it there is a full refund.

Would this be a good route to go down or should I try and find an independent boiler engineer?

Jack

Seems a lot if it's just the pressure switch, tubes or pitot; If it's the pcb then it's close to being a good deal but a good independant would fix it without a problem and it wont cost so much. The choise has to be yours.
John

Had the same problem this week on a Baxi 105e. It was the pcb. Worked ok till it reached temperature and then when it tried to relight the power to the fan was intermittent and the flue/fan light started to flash.

The plumber who checked the flu said that the flu was to long for the boiler.

Is this a common problem. We live in a first floor flat at the boiler is in the kitchen and the flu pipe goes through our lounge which is 4 meters long.

Jack

Flue is allowed to be 5 metres in length each elbow takes it down by a meter
Elbow directly off top of boiler is not counted

Your fault is with the air pressure switch or a melted venturi which is why it works with the front off .
BG WILL FIX IT FOR just under 200 quid so cheaper than baxi

In our local area I would expect to charge about £112.

Whilst I used to live in a flat on the Ombersley Road, that was some time ago!

Tony

Your fault is with the air pressure switch or a melted venturi which is why it works with the front off .
BG WILL FIX IT FOR just under 200 quid so cheaper than baxi

I think PCB on this one.

Although changing/checking the Venturi/ APS first would be wise? :p

Why do you think its the PCB in this case when we are told it works fine with the combustion chamber cover off?

Tony

quite right mr A gile

you have already submitted a quote for £112

im sure that would adequately cover the price for cleaning the venturi`s

but..............................................................................

what if its the pcb b ollox ye might be out of pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back