Baxi Duo Tec - E133 fault - Engineer Appointment booked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Baxi Duo Tec Combi which was installed in the house when we bought it almost 5 years ago now.

Its been faultless all of that time, until early December 2013, when it began losing pressure and cutting out.

Luckily we have boiler cover with Domestic & General, so I called them they came out, and it turned out the pressure expansion vessel was knackered (technical term)... it was replaced, and all was fine again.

Then, few weeks ago, the boiler hadn't come on one morning, and there was an E133 error - looked on the control panel cover which said it was a 'gas supply fault' and could possibly be corrected by resetting the boiler.

Did that, and it fired up. The problem has gradually been occurring more often, but always firing up with a reset, until tonight - it just wont fire up.

Have just rang D&G/Baxi, and have an engineer coming out on Wednesday this week to try and sort it, so not looking for ways to fix it, as I realise its a gas issue.

Is it potentially a big job, and something that may re-occur? Two faults in the last month or so, just hoping this isn't going to become a regular thing, and the boiler is heading on its way out.

Cheers for any replies.

MJ

Sponsored Links
Could be a couple of different things but the most common E133 faults are preventable if the boiler is serviced regularly (and properly). When was yours last done?

Cheers. I'm guessing the boiler itself is about 6 years old now, as the cover we have on it, we took up when the manufacturers (2 yr?) guarantee ran out, and the D&G extender cover offer came through in the previous owners name, so we changed it to ours.

First time I've had to use any of these 'extended covers', but its been worthwhile now.

Just tried resetting it again, and its still not firing up. Just gonna have to wrap up in woolies in the house tonight/tomorrow. You don't realise how much you take heating/hot water for granted, until you can't get any out of the tap! :confused:

EDIT: Boiler hasn't been serviced since we moved here (my bad), and I'm guessing since it was installed . Will try and make sure its done regular now - as I say above, you just take these things for granted, till they don't work!

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised your cover is valid without servicing, having said that I'm not at all surprised to see you say that the servicing is overdue...it should be done annually to maintain safe and efficient operation and reduce the risk of breakdowns

I'm surprised your cover is valid without servicing, having said that I'm not at all surprised to see you say that the servicing is overdue...it should be done annually to maintain safe and efficient operation and reduce the risk of breakdowns

They never asked when I made the first claim (last month), or earlier tonight, and there's nothing in the T&C's which states it must be to be valid (that's not an excuse for not doing it, just got forgotten).

All it says is that annual servicing isn't covered by the agreement, but I will be looking into getting it done now.

Another quick question - I presume when the boiler presents the error code, it has given up trying to light (the clicking), but does it then shut off the gas flow itself? Don't want to keep resetting it and trying to fire it up, if each time its just using more gas which may be building up inside it, which isn't being lit (for whatever reason).

I had a similer problem with my duotec 28he about 2 years ago. error code 133 and failing to light.

the Boiler service guy said it was the igniting electodes had moved out of place and just needed to be straitened out, which he did as part of my service. :)

They never asked when I made the first claim (last month), or earlier tonight, and there's nothing in the T&C's which states it must be to be valid (that's not an excuse for not doing it, just got forgotten).

All it says is that annual servicing isn't covered by the agreement, but I will be looking into getting it done now.

Another quick question - I presume when the boiler presents the error code, it has given up trying to light (the clicking), but does it then shut off the gas flow itself? Don't want to keep resetting it and trying to fire it up, if each time its just using more gas which may be building up inside it, which isn't being lit (for whatever reason).

If it's stopped lighting there's not much point in continually resetting it, but you won't cause a dangerous gas build-up by doing so

Engineer called today, and fixed the boiler - it was the ignition electrode, which he replaced with a newer version, like the one here..

71dobnYoQGL._SL1280_.jpg

Said the newer part was made of stronger metal with less likelihood of the gap changing, and also with the return bar going over the top, if it did move, it still had more chance of maintain a contact for the spark.

Glad to have heating and hot water again!

Glad you're up and running again, did he service it as well or just replace the part?

Ive thanked you for letting us know the outcome, always good to hear what was wrong and that its sorted.

Most boiler engineers know an on the spot fix for electrodes. But changing for new is always better if they are on hand.

The tips should be nice and square to the end, just like a car spark plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back