E133 error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I had the E133 error coming up a few times on my Baxi Duo Tec 40 combi and it reset fine, but after several cold mornings I decided it had to be sorted.

Thinking it could be something really simple I had a good search of the forums but this lead to confusion, it could be this or it could be that etc. Biting the bullet ang getting my wallet out I called on British Gas. I'm posting this account as it may be of use to someone in the future.

Engineer visit 1 - Reset fine, boiler working, great £99 quid down the swanny......but he did think the boiler gas valve might be sticking so ordered the part.

Engineer visit 2 - Gas valve fitted, all working for 3 days, E133 starts again.

Engineer visit 3 - Gas pressure at the meter is high then drops low... must be the gas regulator on the meter. Organises a replacement.

Engineer visit 4 - New gas regulator fitted, all working for a few days, E133 starts again.

Engineer visit 5 - Must be the board, I'll order one.

Engineer visit 6 - Board fitted, all fine for a few days, E133 starts again!!

Engineer visit 7 - He does various tests which show an earth fault and concludes that is interfering with the boards circuits and cutting off the gas seconds after it fires up. He can't do any more.

Now 10 months prior I've had a garage conversion done and new consumer unit, all inspected, certificate issued and building inspector happy so I'm a little doubtful about earth fault but I call an electrician in.

What do you know, there is an earth fault, relating to the CU installation, sorted in half an hour, boiler purring away. It just goes to show with these things the problem may not be so obvious and that the obvious things may not actually be the problem.

The thing that is puzzling is how it worked for a few days after each part was changed.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
Ironisation problem then. Quite common - especially on the Powermax Range in new builds.

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
new ignition probes required,known fault

have changed loads of these on duotecs that were installed in 2007/2008.

Known fault as already said and the new one is a lot more robust.

When I did my initial search for information to see if it was something simple to fix I read various posts saying it could be ignition probes, gas valve, circuit board etc. As there was no definate answer only it could be this or it could be that I decided to get British Gas in.

The problem has been fixed but I posted my experience of what happened as it might be of use to someone.

The problem wasn't ignition probes as suggested above. Neither was it the circuit board, gas valve or gas meter regulator - all replaced by British Gas. The problem was an earth fault on the houshold consumer unit. I think the engineer said there was too high a voltage across live-earth & neutral-earth on the board which caused it to cut off the gas supply.

The spark sorted the consumer unit earth fault and the boiler has been working perfectly ever since.

When I visit a boiler I always check the voltages from the three supply wires to the chassis.

That immediately shows if the polarity is correct and indentifies any excessive voltage to earth.

Perhaps I need to train the BG people? Although I thought they were told to do this.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back