Baxi Ifos wheather compensation kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a Baxi combi boiler managed by a Tado thermostat (on/off), plus additional thermostats in each room controlling radiator valves. I normally run the boiler flow at 60 deg and I was looking for ways to add opentherm, when I bumped into something else, this wheather compensation kit
The Tado system knows the outside temperature by using some online services and should compensate its demand for heat based on that; however, all it can do is turning the boiler on and off, so if it needs 50% it will (roughly speaking) just turn on the boiler for 20 minutes and off for another 20 minutes (kind of pulse width modulation); it does this to modulate the heat request: this depends on how much heat the house is losing and by how quickly I'm demanding for heat (for example if I've set a much higher than ambient target temperature or if it's just maintaining the current temperature). No matter what, flow temperature will always be 60deg.

How does the weather compensation kit actually work? It seems like the user selects a climatic curve and it will adjust flow temperature based on external temperature (?). Is it measuring external temperature or, as the sensor is installed on the flue terminal, the fumes temperature? I would imagine if it's supposed to measure the external temperature, then it wouldn't need to be installed clipped to the flue, unless this is to minimise holes in a wall

Sponsored Links
yep its suitable and reasonably easy to fit into a duotec but they are designed to work attached to the flue so would not work correctly fitted directly on a wall .
you would need this one .

Sponsored Links
yep its suitable and reasonably easy to fit into a duotec but they are designed to work attached to the flue so would not work correctly fitted directly on a wall .
you would need this one .
Sorry, I didn’t mean I wanted it attached to the wall, I was asking if it needs to sense the flue temperature or the external ambient temperature: it sounds like the latter.

So I’ve installed the Baxi ifos sensor on the bottom of the flue.
I’ve been working out the curve that I need; the display only shows number from 10 to 30 while the manual shows curves from 5 to 35
1702550358734.png

In the last few days, I realised that if I want to maintain my current schedule with heating going off at night I need the highest curve I can set (30), otherwise it takes too long to heat my living room (only 3° rise in 12 hours).

I’m trying to see if I can use a lower curve by keeping a constant target room temperature 24/7.
It’s currently set to curve 20 and there are 6° outside; I’m watching the flow temperature shown on the boiler and I can see that the gas light comes on when it drops to 34°, then I can hear the flame being lit, and after about 10 seconds the temperature reaches 50°, which makes the gas cut off, then the cycle repeats.
It looks like the boiler is trying to keep the water at 45°, but cannot modulate low enough to keep the flame on, hence the continuous cycling.
P.S. The call for heat from Tado is currently constantly on and so is the pump

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back