Baxi Leaking And Pump/Pressure Fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum

I'm having problems with my Baxi 80e, it's leaking at the hot water push rod of the diverter valve, giving limited movement from the central heating valve and it's throwing up a pump or low pressure fault on the control panel. I've checked the obvious like pressure and pump operation and all seems ok.

Yesterday I replaced the PCB as advised and the fault remained so this morning I investigated further to find a slight leak around the hot water push rod which is operating the switch correctly. The central heating push rod isn't retracting fully and so isn't operating the micro switch correctly, if I operate the switch manually my boiler comes to life and gives me hot water and heating.

Is it normal for the CH valve to be functioning when requesting hot water only from the boiler? of course when I turn on the hot tap both the HW and CH push rods extend, I expected the CH to operate only when the heating is turned on.

I've tested both micro switches for continuity and they're fine, I'm aware that both valves and possibly the diaphragms will need to be replaced but again I'm unsure of the operation since this is the first boiler I've worked on.

The plan I have in my head is to:

1. turn off the water supply.
2. run taps to empty.
3. remove the CH and HW valves keeping the diverter valve connected and in place.
4. Fit the necessary parts of a diverter repair kit.
5. turn on water supply and re pressurise with loop feed.

Sound about right fellas? thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The ch one as you call it is actually a pump proving switch so will operate in ch and dhw.

Why don't you just get a professional in?

You've already wasted money on a pcb you didn't need and you are endangering the lives of everyone else in the property. Please just get someone that knows what they're doing.

If your going to do the job, I'd suggest draining the system water out of the boiler first otherwise you'll need a rain mac. Just running the taps won't drain the boiler.

PCB was an expensive mistake lol

Sponsored Links
Its funny when the public whinge about our prices yet will quite happily throw pcbs on their boiler when not needed, your problem could be something minor that could be fixed for a call out charge of £60 plus vat for eg.

Hi Forum

Yesterday I replaced the PCB as advised and the fault remained so this morning I investigated further to find a slight leak around the hot water push rod which is operating the switch correctly. The central heating push rod isn't retracting fully and so isn't operating the micro switch correctly, if I operate the switch manually my boiler comes to life and gives me hot water and heating.

So who advised you to change the PCB ?

Tony

So basically you're telling me I shouldn't be asking for DIY advice within a DIY forum?

I know it pains some of you guys to know that I'm close to solving my problem without the help of a professional but to wrongly assume that I've wasted my money on a PCB and to find amusement in that is bitter and pathetic.

The reason I didn't get a professional in is because after spending a few minutes reading my boilers installation manual I discovered that workings of my boiler are quite simple, also I like a challenge and to better my understanding of anything technical in the field of engineering, the day I allow somebody to limit my capacity for learning and making my life easier is the day I move to Afghanistan and start living as a woman.

I know how it quite possibly could have gone with a professional, "I've replaced your PCB, two diaphragms and push pins, £500 please Sir" no I much prefer the idea of fixing it myself for less than £20 and removing my own trousers when it's time to get in the shower and use the boiler, not when a rogue trader tries to pull them down.

PMSL .

"The reason I didn't get a professional in is because after spending a few minutes reading my boilers installation manual I discovered that workings of my boiler are quite simple"

That simple you changed one of the most expensive parts on the boiler at around £120 and it is the one thing this fault cant be .

Be fun seeing if they do take board back as just about all suppliers will not take boards back even from trade let alone public

its a 15 minute repair so i suggest you read the manual and work out this simple boiler a bit more in depth

yes its so easy to do you have asked others to help . And as for the ridiculous comment about rogue traders , do not tar all tradesman with the same brush . Its scaremongering crap like this on tv that drives people like you onto sites like this .

I'd keep the old PCB if I were you.

You'll need it to replace the new one when you give a good soaking :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back