Baxi main eco elite automatic air vent leaking *PIC*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20180210_130717.jpg
Hi

The automatic air vent attached to the pump housing is leaking. Now there's supposed to be a bleed nipple screw in the top but there isn't (no idea where it's gone). So I bought a new AAV and just used the screw from the new one and it stopped leaking

However it occurred to me that perhaps I should replace the whole part as the AAV is obviously letting water through when it shouldn't (albeit a very small amount).

Just wanted some advice on diy-ing this job. I was thinking of closing the flow and return isolation valves. There is a magnetic filter on the return so would close the isolation valve there for the return side. Then release water from the magnetic filter to empty the boiler. Then replace the AAV, open the valves and fill her up to pressure

Was wondering if this is the right way to do it? Presumably the Loss of inhibitor would be negligible? Or should I drain the whole system?

Also can I just unscrew the AAV with a wrench?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Believe it or not I have done. But just wanted your opinions because there's nothing better than real world experience i.e. is it ok to isolate the boiler in the way I described. Also do you use a wrench to take off the aav.

Sponsored Links
Believe it or not I have done. But just wanted your opinions because there's nothing better than real world experience i.e. is it ok to isolate the boiler in the way I described. Also do you use a wrench to take off the aav.
FFS READ THE FOOKING MANUAL :rolleyes: , thats real world experience for you :)

Yes just drain the boiler, if it's a threaded tapered connection you'll need some PTFE tape on it before you screw it on again. If it's a union then not necessary

Yes just drain the boiler, if it's a threaded tapered connection you'll need some PTFE tape on it before you screw it on again. If it's a union then not necessary
really you sure so you don't use the oring then , I've never put ptfe tape on it and i see these boilers everyday ;)

FFS READ THE FOOKING MANUAL :rolleyes: , thats real world experience for you :)
Lol did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Still at least you kicked this thread into life!

Isolator valves on some filters and a lot of boilers are prone to leaking when closed/opened.
You've landed lucky if they're not leaking after doing a repair.

Ok so I read the manual.

Drain using the isolator valves and drain off point near the pump.

Use aav removal tool to remove aav. Replace O-ring if necessary

HMm but not sure I want to use drain off point from boiler in case it doesn't seal fully afterwards. So I might stick to my original plan and drain from magnetic filter

Isolator valves on some filters and a lot of boilers are prone to leaking when closed/opened.
You've landed lucky if they're not leaking after doing a repair.
sorry thats b@llocks
HMm but not sure I want to use drain off point from boiler in case it doesn't seal fully afterwards. So I might stick to my original plan and drain from magnetic filter
;) , use the iso valves and drain off (y) , I'm on the right side of the bed now :ROFLMAO:, at least you read the manual . don't worry you can thank me later :p

sorry thats b@llocks

Hi AGAS. Don't apologise, your entitled to your opinion.
I based my statement on my experience. Maybe they're more reliable these days as I never shut them anymore to save the hassle. I had to change a return isolator on a potterton promax that was weeping
from the ball last week which would be the same as the ones in the thread title I would imagine and yesterday I had a vokera unica that started leaking from one of the ch isolators after I had changed an AAV. I never even touched it and it started leaking. That's just in the last few days!

Maybe all the systems you work on have shiny new boilers with crystal clear water running through them ;)but around my way that ain't the case.

Sorry for the ramble, just defending my corner.:)

Now I'm apologising:LOL:

I reckon I see about 20 ( expect more I expect )of this type of boiler a week and maybe get weeping ISO one every two weeks ;) even then there easily sorted most times but making they leak for fun is just blush!t tbh ;):) , other boiler makes maybe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back