Baxi Maxflow Combi WM not staying alight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Maxflow Combi WM giving some problems.

With it set to CH & DHW and the temperature settings set vertical and the DHW in need of warming, when first switched on at the mains, everything works normally; the HW light lights, then the flame light lights and I can hear the woof of the burner as the gas ignites.

However, after about a minute the burner goes out, as does the flame light and then either:

1) doesn't relight
2) the flame light flashes with about a 1 sec interval

Switching off, leaving for some minutes then switching on again is the only way I have found of getting the burner to go again, but only the once.

Also, when set to DHW only, the hot water light doesn't always light.

The boiler is about 4 years old and this problem has appeared intermittently for about a year.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
I assume that you have never had it serviced?

It sounds like a fan/venturi/ignition/flame sensing problem, all of which are CORGI jobs. Could even be a damaged or obstructed flue.

Its amazing how many times we go to faulty boilers at this time of year only to find the owner has not checked the plants growing over the flue.

Tony

Agile said:
I assume that you have never had it serviced?

This is correct. You say it like it is a bad thing ;)

It sounds like a fan/venturi/ignition/flame sensing problem, all of which are CORGI jobs. Could even be a damaged or obstructed flue.

Its amazing how many times we go to faulty boilers at this time of year only to find the owner has not checked the plants growing over the flue.

LOL ... well I have no plants growing there, but I will check for birds nests and that the route of the flue in the house is still ok.

How can I check the fan/venturi/ignition/flame sensors? Are any manuals available?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Agile wrote:
"""I assume that you have never had it serviced?"""

Your reply:
"""This is correct. You say it like it is a bad thing?"""

Most people know that boilers and cars should be serviced regularly. If you dont bother then you should not be surprised if they break down.

All those possibilities I suggested are the province of a CORGI engineer and I should not be giving you instructions on doing something for which you are not competent. In any case there are so many different things to check in your case that it would need many pages of instructions.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Agile wrote:
"""I assume that you have never had it serviced?"""

Your reply:
"""This is correct. You say it like it is a bad thing?"""

Most people know that boilers and cars should be serviced regularly. If you dont bother then you should not be surprised if they break down.

Hey! You didn't include my winking smiley when you quoted me! I consider that a mis-quote. The winking-smiley should have given you the clue that a lecture was not necessary.

All those possibilities I suggested are the province of a CORGI engineer and I should not be giving you instructions on doing something for which you are not competent. In any case there are so many different things to check in your case that it would need many pages of instructions.

Hmmm. Competent to repair or competent to diagnose? Is diagnosis the exclusive domain of the CORGI guys?

Regards,

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back