Baxi Solo 2 50 PF replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My Baxi Solo 2 50 PF conked out the other day. The engineer initially said the gas valve needs replacing but has now stated to my insurers that it is 'beyond economical repair'. Not sure how that works but hey-ho.

So my question is this: What boiler should I get to replace this one ie. the same physical size, same output etc?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Solo 2 un-economical to repair.

Dont take this personally mate but what a croc' o'****e.
Mid to late 90's boiler and as a heat only ( not a combination boiler) id keep that for as long as is humanly possible.

It will outlast any A rated boiler so long as its looked after.

No A rated boiler , especially worcesters aluminium rubbish, will last as long as that Solo has.

Trust me :)

Yeah seems odd to B.E.R as parts are available.....and simple to fix...this "vintage"stuff was designed to heat water and has done a pretty good job for many years.....before eco green lunacy and all that ****e....

I did think it a bit strange since I googled the part for £82.......

I reckon its the AA's subcontractor trying to pull a fast one.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't trust the AA to fix my car, let alone my boiler. Ditch them and get a local indy to do the boiler repair for you. Good little boiler and has got many more miles left in it.

you never get many problems with this boiler, your AA chap is talking rubbish, very easy boiler to repair and nothing expensive on them

OP- Cover schemes like you have work as follows;

* The business objective is to collect subscriptions/premiums.
* To your provider having to repair your boiler is an occupational hazard.
* Therefore they'll employ the cheapest blokes who can barely diagnose the simplest of faults.
* Offering a new boiler is their way of saying ''we can't repair so won't''. Calling someone who knows how costs us (the insurer) so a new boiler will cost you (the customer) instead.
* You place order for boiler, they're paid twice (monthly subs & install). They send cheap sh*t to fit it, manufacturer mops up for a while, you pay more subs and the cycle starts again.

only trouble ive had with these are fans, pcbs, pilot injector and aps. but i must say parts seem to be getting dearer for them. imo if its gunna cost say £300 to fix and someone would fit you a baxi solo a rated boiler for £1000 with a 2 yr gtee its a no brainer.

Thanks for the input guys.

It was 4 days between the reporting it and them saying its BER. I reckon I hit their performance target of calls resolved within 4 days so they decided to s**t-can it.

There seem to be 2 gas-safe registered people within a few mins walk of me so I'll give them a call and see what they can do.

Hi all,

My Baxi Solo 2 50 PF conked out the other day. The engineer initially said the gas valve needs replacing but has now stated to my insurers that it is 'beyond economical repair'. Not sure how that works but hey-ho.

So my question is this: What boiler should I get to replace this one ie. the same physical size, same output etc?

Thanks.

Hello Jonewer. We are eager to look into this for you. We have provided you with our email address to get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you. Regards The AA

That is pathetic, I used to work for British gas and they are just as bad. so I quit, I went to the AA to see if they wanted me for boiler repairs, etc and they said it was all done under contract, that says it all. cheapest quote accepted.javascript:emoticon(':oops:')

Actually someone at work said they just switched to AA so he's cancelling pronto. Gives me some satisfaction at least to know AA is going to lose more money shafting me than they would save!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back