Baxi Solo 3 - no ignition (no clicking sound)

Sponsored Links
There's a bunch of faults that happen with these solo boilers that don't require you to go anywhere near the gas valve, or indeed open the combustion chamber. Seems pointless to reply to say you can't reply, because. gas.

If you think this fault is indeed the gas solenoid, just say so pointing out the need for a RGI to install and test etc.

Sponsored Links
There's a bunch of faults that happen with these solo boilers that don't require you to go anywhere near the gas valve, or indeed open the combustion chamber. Seems pointless to reply to say you can't reply, because. gas.

If you think this fault is indeed the gas solenoid, just say so pointing out the need for a RGI to install and test etc.
I don't think it is the gas solenoid at all (and if I did, I wouldn't be on a forum - I'd call an engineer!). My guess would be either the fan or the PCB (PCB not sending a signal to the fan), so the question was to try ascertain the greater likelihood, before I take out the multimeter and see what (if any) current is going to the fan. Unfortunately seemed to be a far more complicated question than I originally expected - oh well, lesson learned! :/

Well you're of course entitled to your opinion, but as you've never met me and have thus no idea of my own capabilities or experience: I think I'll rely on my own intelligence and intuition to determine what is or isn't safe for me to 'fanny' around with. (y)

Well that's where the problem lies, relying on your own intelligence.

In the gas industry, the description "gas" covers everything connected with burning the gas in the boiler and not just the gas pipes!

So it includes the gas valve, case seals, ignition and supervision devices which include the PCB, and the fan and flue system.

So unfortunately your lack of understanding of boilers means that you have already seriously exceeded what a DIYer should have been doing.

It is not a secret club but the forum rules we adhere to. By posting here you are also deemed to have read and accepted the forum rules.

I'd rather waste my own time eliminating some of the possibilities that I am capable of doing so myself, than waste money on labour charges to someone who is going to embark on the exact same process before landing on the issue.

how do you expect to fault find when you don't know the basics like the sequence of operation ( which you should know as an electrician ) , why do electricians always think they can fix a boiler safely and right ?

I have my answer from another forum - I clearly made a mistake by coming on to this one.

Thread closed - you can all relax now.

I don't think it is the gas solenoid at all (and if I did, I wouldn't be on a forum - I'd call an engineer!). My guess would be either the fan or the PCB (PCB not sending a signal to the fan), so the question was to try ascertain the greater likelihood, before I take out the multimeter and see what (if any) current is going to the fan. Unfortunately seemed to be a far more complicated question than I originally expected - oh well, lesson learned! :/

My reply should have quoted an earlier reply to your question. Wasn't aimed at you soz.

Arse Cat I.........Now there is a seriously dodgy name for a start!

Well I've read all these posts with a smile on my face because It may be correct for two or three of you to take
a high & mighty attitude telling an electrician that he must not touch the electronics on his boiler but I can tell
you my son is a very competent electrical engineer and I would wager he may well have more 'grounding'
in electrical fault finding than all you clever chaps put together. He is most certainly more educated than I
in electrical technicalities especially PCBs and the associated faults with that particular piece of equipment.
I remember you sir giving good advice to an electronics chap that was not a gas safe chap but it was obvious he
was very proficient in repairing 'his' PCB to a better condition than Baxi achieved from new.He fitted a couple of good qual relays noticed the crap dry joints & I believe replaced one or two resistors that were of dodgy qual.
Although officially I should not fiddle as you say one of you with boilers due to me being long retired I can tell you that especially with OIL fired pressure jet burners some of the men with a bit of paper with Oftec qualified on it ain't worth much at all because when I was in full swing I had three phone calls from such a qualified chap that he wanted to know how to repair a burner & 'help' to fit a combi oil boiler as he did not have a clue what to do with it..
The first thing I asked him was how do you know if there is any water in a boiler you will commission??????
I used to be corgi 1972 when it was not compulsory & have worked with pressure jet G & O up to 1M -300Th Btus
& yet officially I cannot fiddle with my own or a pals boiler..........
Anyone with a bit of cocum knows that it is out of the question to put a foot wrong in each & every respect especially leave the slightest leak----god forbid but I notice not one engineer did the right things when servicing gas boilers as per the Which report which is abismal is it not ? 6 of them!
I would wager they all had a bit of paper with a number on it as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back