Baxi v Vaillant + new system or powerflush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, some advice on a new boiler would be handy please.

Our heating system is around 30 years old so, as we’re doing a very long overdue update of the bathroom, we decided to change the old boiler at the same time so we can put a shower cubicle where the airing cupboard is & have a decent shower run off the combi rather than electric.

We’ve got 2 estimates, firstly from the plumber who has just fitted a new boiler for a neighbour – he recommended the same boiler - Vaillant 831 Eco Tec plus which has a flow rate of 12.5.
The second was from our usual plumber. He prefers & fits Baxi & recommended the Baxi Duo Tec 28 HE, flow rate11.5. He said alternatives were Potterton Gold 28 HE, or Baxi Platinum 28 HE and that all these boilers were the same, the only difference being that they came with different lengths of warranty. He said he would fit a Vaillant if we wanted it but he wasn’t familiar with them.
Another neighbour has just had a boiler fitted by British Gas (own brand) with a flow rate of 13.5.

All our houses (semi’s) are similar in size/shape with one bathroom, but our house is slightly bigger as it has a long extension (with 2 radiators) over the garage. As the neighbours have both had bigger boilers fitted we’re concerned that the recommended Baxi might not give us a good enough flow rate, particularly for a good shower pressure and bath, but neither do we want a boiler that is too big. The next one up in the Baxi range jumps from 11.5 to 13.5.
The first plumber said a new boiler would be fine with just a power flush on the old pipes. The second said it was advisable to put new piping & radiators in, partly because the system was old and also new radiators would be more efficient (most of ours don’t have any fins), but he said he would do a power flush instead if we didn’t want the upheaval of floors & carpets being lifted.

We’re in a quandary as to what to do, it’s a lot of money so want to make the right decision. A Which? Report on the Baxi Duo Tec 28 HE said – “This combination boiler is efficient, user-friendly and a great choice for flats and smaller houses.” I don’t think a semi with 4 bedrooms would fall into that category! It also mentioned the flow rate as only 11, not 11.5 as in the brochure.

Would putting a new boiler on old pipework be false economy, e.g. does having a power flush put the new boiler at risk, even if thoroughly done? How long does copper piping actually last? We don’t want to have to change that at a later date as we’re approaching retirement age now & would rather get any upheaval and expense out of the way now.

What size of boiler would be best? Is it better to go slightly too big rather than risk it being too small? How would this affect running costs?

How do the Vaillant and Baxi compare for efficiency, also for after sales service and parts availability etc in your experience?

Sorry for so many questions but you guys seem to have loads of experience and I don’t want to have to get another estimate if I can avoid it as it takes a lot of a plumber’s time to come out, check the place over & prepare an estimate and I’ve already had two.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I can't advise on your boiler choices, but can offer some guidance re. keeping your existing pipes and radiators.

My house is 60 years old, and has had 3 boilers (coal back boiler + two combis) on the same radiators and pipes. Apart from 2 new radiator valves in those 60 years the pipes and rads. haven't been touched.

The questions you need to ask yourself are;
Am I satified with the heat output from the current rads?
Are the rads. in good condition (ie. no rust externally)?
Does each rad. give a good even heat over its entire surface (ie. no cool spots)?
Are the rads. and pipework generally sound and trouble free?

If you can answer yes to all of these questions, then there is little point in going through the upheaval and expense of ripping out a sound system that is obviously not sludged up. You are going to make a big job out of a routine boiler swap.

Don't fall for the energy efficency/green ploy either. Any savings made by having SLIGHTLY more efficient modern radiators will take decades to recoup (if ever) bearing in mind the substantial cost of replacing everything.

Go with your first plumber, sounds like he's not trying to expand the job. If in ten or fifteen years your radiators give problems get them replaced then. If your system's like mine, you might not need to.

Vaillant are a lot better engineered than the Baxi, which although appear to be ok are not in the same league.

Efficiency will be very much the same, both around 90.5%, but as you point out the Vaillant has that little bit extra HW flow.

Unless you are on a budget I would go for the Vaillant.

The service back up from both is about equal.

I always tell my customers that they can keep their existing pipes and radiators, but warn of the possiblity (very, very slight) that they may get a leak after powerflushing and that whilst I will repair this it is not included in my quote.

Why would we all quote for a full new ch when all that is required is a boiler change.

Why would we all quote for a full new ch when all that is required is a boiler change

Yes gas4you, I don't doubt your integrity for one minute, and you are obviously an expert in your field. It's just that SOME heating engineers might be tempted to make more money by always suggesting that radiators and pipes are replaced with the boiler.

In this post, one engineer says to only change the boiler, the other says replace everything. One of them must be right!

Sponsored Links
It depends on the condition of your installed plant, the type of materials used, and the skill in which it was put in.

We can't tell you on an internet forum, so you have to rely on skilled tradesman looking at it.

Your problem is that you have had a number of quotes, you also have taken advice from those idiots at Which? magazine, and now we are going to give you more differing opinions.

Choose a tradesman with a recommendation from someone you trust and go with his/her advice.

NB: And anyone suggesting a Baxi is the equal of a Vaillant would be immediately discounted from my list.

Personall opinion vaillant are living on past reputation of the sine18 and 242e build quality, Nowwhere near as good as they where.
Bit like people still say buy a cannon cooker, not actually been cannon for 25 years but people still associate the name with quality

They aren't as good as they were, agreed. But who would pay for that build quality nowadays?

If the system preformance with existing rads is ok then a powerflush may be the way to go....however old radiators do not deliver the heat that a new one will deliver, also are they all in the positions that you want and for example do you have 2 rads in the living room to spread the heat across the room.

If there is a budget then you have to choose and buy what they money allows, if the new boiler goes in then the system can be ripped out at another time and rads replaced repiped as necesary.

Boilers..... thats the million dollar question....for a 4 bed semi I would NOT fit a 28kw or the 31kw vaillant, they, I would say are slightly undersized, If you want better flow then go for a 37kw vaillant or the ecotech exclusive which is 38kw..... just make sure that there is a big gas pipe fitted back to the meter!!

BG branded combi's are primarly 'tweaked' worcester CDi range, 32kw or 37kw.....

Have you looked at viessman or Worcester??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back