BBC Radio Bitrates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wondered if anyone knows what bitrate BBC uses on BBC Sounds streaming, in particular, for Radio 3. I've read they trialled 320, but its since been reduced. I'm interested to know what is the best source for BBC Radio: internet, FM, or Freeview ( I know DAB isnt!)

Sponsored Links
It depends what profile is selected.

Profile 1 is AAC-LC 320kbs profile 4 is HE-AACv1 48bps.

A modern smartphone or tablet or IP streaming device will get the best profile over HLS.

I think Radio 3 HD is the only ICY holdout, but it's still only 2a which is a 128bps MP3 stream.

Where I live FM does not exist, so option is internet, freeview, or satellite. I did use satellite until daughter wanted my record player, and I used a optical link from Sky Q to the record player. However it was not the quality that caused me to move to internet, it was method of selecting station.

Both freeview and satellite both needed the TV switching on to tune in, even if you can turn it off again after, so simply saying hay google play radio 3 is so much easier. I have stereo in living room, with paired Nest Mini, and mono else where.

I would say the satellite is likely the best quality, and has the most stations, I did out of interest try voice command using Sky Q and yes it worked well, so could use that, as to a freesat or free to air box with voice commands not so sure, and since Sky Q connects to internet as well as satellite I really don't know if using internet or not it simply works.

The same with bit rate, never looked at transfer rate with optical link, or phono plugs, SCART or other, my quick test was using HDMI cable, but quality limited by TV speakers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back