Bed Bugs ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I expect a few of you have had problems with Bed Bugs.

Although my wife is very particular with housework, hoovering all rooms everyday and under beds approx every other week and change bedding on a regular basis.

For awhile she has been plagued with bites, which was thought to be mosquitoes until this week where it appears from searching the web. Not effecting me as much as her with only an itch or two.

We found one bed bug under a pillow.

They say normal fly sprays etc will not touch em. Seen on YouTube you can use steam to kill em and eggs across various areas and all bedding etc to be washed at high temps of 60c plus and tumbled dried at high temps.

I know the proper course would be to contact the council, but is there anything I use off the shelf from Garden Centers etc to show I have made an attempt till they come out

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Night night sleep tight .................................. ;)

OK,

It looks if I've beaten em.

Smoke bombs - are a waste money, they kill everything else but the bugs.

Bed bug traps - these are a must, using these placing 3 or 4 in each of the infested rooms to pin point the infested areas and move em closer the infested area.

Finally the chemical to rid the bugs - I went to Pest control supplies for all my needs. They give advice of procedures.

I could have gone to my council and be charged, or I could have employed a local professional and again be charged.

The whole process taken 4/5 weeks and less than £70 spent.

The main thing that must be done whoever does this, is housework. Meaning that in the infested areas/corners etc. must be cleaned on a regular basis as much as every 2 days during the first 2 weeks of treatment and then backing off to once a week. Or if any new bugs are found in the traps, these are very tacky and care is needed on removing whatever is caught due to the stickiness of the trap. I used tweezers and towards the end of the battle, you'll find the bugs caught have no blood in em meaning they are new and have not reached their victim yet. And the cleaner must be emptied into a bag and sealed into the outside bin.

In my case, they were under the carpet edges in three bedrooms along where the beds are placed. Reason maybe they won't have to travel far to their victims for their blood. One or two were found in nearby draws. The carpet edges were pulled up all round the room and using the crevice tool on the vacuum around the skirting board/carpet grips also along the underlay/carpet grips and never use the brush part as this could carry the bug/eggs. Once this was done then use the vacuum as normal. There is no point at this stage in reclipping the carpet onto its grips till all is clear.

It's been awhile now since we've had any, but still using the traps to keep an eye for further bugs.

I did all the various tips and tricks as on YouTube etc, using steam or hair/hot air blowers without success .

Sponsored Links
They live in crevices of mattress, might be time for a new one.

No, because all Mattresses are fitted with an Encasement cover.

If any were found with blood within themselves when they squashed to remove from the traps, then you could say they are from the bed area but the last one or two found were at the base of the skirting board alongside the bed with no blood within them.

I think that means they are fresh ones not reached the bedding or anyone to suck blood yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back