Bedding material for drainage pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from a question that I've asked in the Building section of the forum...

I'm planning to break up and remove a concrete path outside my kitchen. As part of the job I'll be replacing an old yard gully which is cracked, and joining the new gully to the existing drainage before resurfacing with flagstones and bricks.

What type of bedding material should the pipework and gully be set in before backfilling? I think I read somewhere that the gully should sit on concrete so that it doesn't sink, but I'm unsure as to how the pipework itself should be set, if I end up breaking a significant part of the clayware. Hopefully I can save as much of the original pipe as possible.

Is it possible to cut a clayware pipe with an angle grinder, or does it need to be done with a pipe cutter?

Sponsored Links
I'd bed the new gulley on some concrete, and haunch around the gulley to protect it. Pipework needs protecting at shallow depths, once out of harms way, peagravel is fine. Make sure the initial backfill around the pipework is free of any big lumps or stones.

Angle grinder is fine to cut the pipe, and a stone blade should be ok for clayware, only really need diamond blade for concrete in my experience.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much to you both.

I did have a look at Paving Expert, but sometimes find those sites a bit hard to follow. Everything is clear now.

Now all that's required is for the missus to buy me an angle grinder, cement mixer and jackhammer (not necessarily in that order) for my birthday in January.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back