bedding shower tray on sand and cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey am putting a stone resin shower tray in my house. I've heard its best to bed it down on sand and cement. From what I've read people are suggesting a mix of 5:1 sand to cement. I have a bag of pre-mixed motar will this be ok to use. I pressume this is a mix at 4:1 will this be ok or too strong?

Sponsored Links
It will be fine Tom, just don't make it too dry or too wet. About 'brick laying' mix is about right.

Thank you. The floor is quite level realy, how much do I need to spread out. Am I best off using a tile adhesive spreader so the motar has grooves in it?

Normally just make sure the waste can be connected easily when the tray is fitted with a prior 'dry' run. Cover the entire area with the mortor(20-30mm bed) set the tray down & level as required.

Hope that helps Tom.

Sponsored Links
Thanks can I just also ask how much mortar I am likely to need to tray is 1000x1000mm I dont want start putting it down and realise I havent got enough. Also do I need to prime the floor first?

Around a third of a bucket. Mix an equal amount of bonding or finish with the mix and it will go off in 30 mins or less. No need to prime boards. ;)

Thank you. One other point the floor is that green chipboard stuff is that ok not to prime.

Around a third of a bucket. Mix an equal amount of bonding or finish with the mix and it will go off in 30 mins or less. No need to prime boards. ;)

Don't think doing this is very wise!! It would be a very weak mix & likely to crumble after some time. Portland Cement & gypsom based products should never be mixed together!!

Hate to disagree with the great man :LOL: but you should try it dick.
It sets like concrete with some bonding in the mix, you need a jackhammer to get it off.

Hate to disagree with the great man :LOL: but you should try it dick.
It sets like concrete with some bonding in the mix, you need a jackhammer to get it off.

Not sure I want to hear about your jacking off Mantie son!!!

How very uncouth........

Scouse Eggs
Two Scousers riding along the East Lancs Road on a motorbike. They break down and start hitching a lift.

A friendly trucker stops to see if he can help and the scousers ask him for a lift. He tells them he has no room in the wagon as he is carrying 20,000 bowling balls but will take a look at the bike for them.

He tries everything he knows but is unable to repair it. Time is getting on now and he's late for his delivery so he tells the scousers he has to leave. "R hey lad" they say "gissa lift".

The trucker once again explains that he has no room as he is carrying 20,000 bowling balls. The scousers put it to the driver that if they can manage to fit in the back will he take them and he agrees.

They manage to squeeze themselves and their motorbike into the back of the wagon so the driver shuts the doors and gets off on his way. By this time he is really late and so puts his foot down.

Sure enough PC Plod pulls him up for speeding. The good officer asks the driver what he is carrying to which he replies Scouse Eggs. The policeman obviously doesn't believe this so wants to take a look.

He opens the back door and quickly shuts it and locks it . He gets onto his radio and calls for immediate backup from as many officers as possible.

The dispatcher asks what emergency he has that requires so many officers. "I've got a wagon with 20,000 Scouse eggs in it - 2 have already hatched and the bastards have managed to nick a motorbike already".

you couthless owld c***. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back