Bell box location

yes thank you i have read about alarm cables needing to be away from mains.

Unfortunately it is almost impossible not to corss them at some point.

I noticed they sell somthing called "ACT 1313 12V Spike Suppressor" do these allow alarm cable to run near mains?

My RKP in the bedroom passes alongside a lighting cable. The lighting able is in a steel conduit. hope this doesnt cause havok!!!!

Sponsored Links
Alarm cables and mains cable do not go together, in or out of trunking. the problem is induction.

Alarm cables should be installed across mains cables but not adjacent and parallel with, best to keep them 12" away

quick thank you to all who posted on this thread.

I managed to get the alarm system up and running (over xmas) first time thanks to the knowledge you guys shared.

Hope your xmas was good and happy new year.

Cheers all.

Try to mount it on the front. If not then do what I have done on some cheap installations and just pop the bell box on the side but buy a dummy bell box identical to the one on the side and mount that on the front. Remember if you do this and later on gain access to the front of the house you can always either fit a live backplate to the dummy or simply buy a sound bomb and a strobe and make your own bell although this dose not offer tamper protection or the status lights but it will attract more attention to the bell at the side. Two boxes are better than one and on most of my installations I fit a live texecom odyssey 3 at the front and a live texecom odyssey 3e at the back. The 3e is only 109db so it causes less disruption to neighbours. Sometimes I even fit a dummy on the side too and just put a klaxton blue strobe in it so the box is dead but looks like it is going off when the alarm is activated.

Sponsored Links
Is it "amateur " night?

Seriously, your all idiots on this thread.

Is it "amateur " night?

Oi, I'm enjoying this. I'm nursing a cracking headache, don't feel like doing squat, and just having a bit of titter digesting this lot. Don't shut the thread down early - I'm told this head of mine could last another day yet.
:D

Is it "amateur " night?

Ha you just dissed Europlank aswell :)

Which was regrettable, as he is far from your insult.

I should have thought a little about my sweeping statement a little more but was going out and in a rush.

However you are.
Cheers for that & I hope you had a Happy Christmas & will have a Happy New Year to you & yours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back