BENDING SKIRTING ROUND A BAY WINDOW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need some good advise please :!:
I like to have a go at DIY and think I'm not too bad but I've come across a problem :(
Need to replace the skirting around my bay window.
Anybody got any advise on how to do this.
I'm not too bad at DIY but haven't come across this problem before.
Any ideas gratefully appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The traditional way of bending timber is to apply lots of steam to the bit you want to bend & then clamp it in that position until it dries out; how practical this is for you & how successful it would be rather depends how tight a radius you need. Also have a look at the MDF mouldings they tend to be more flexible than timber but they will snap with a bang if you push it too far.

You can also get flexible MDF, which has basically been pre kerfed for you. Or you could try kerf'ing the moulding for which it's easiest to use a depth adjustable sliding mitre saw or a radial arm saw. Good luck!

Snap!

Some of this skirting in curved bay windows is made from plaster moulded by specially shaped timber edges which are run round the bay on temporary wooden tracks

Sponsored Links
Split - lots of cuts across the back-edge (as described in scoops posting) but allow more timber in the length because when pushing the cut skirting into the curve of the bay the ends will 'slip'. Temporarily hold in position then mark the length for cutting. Fix the skirting to the wall using you preferred method, then fill the gaps created by the saw cuts which will now be visible along the top of the skirting. Experiment on a scrap length of skirting to get the best depth of cut, too little depth may result in a stiff board which is difficult to form into the curve, too deep a cut may result in the skirting splitting of the front face as you bend it. You should do this using the tackle suggested by scoops, or get your local woodworking shop to do it for a small charge, or - if you're really confident/safe etc. and had lots of experience with one use a hand-held circular saw against a clamped fence (moved for each cut)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back