Benefits of Underlay with Laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a fairly average laminate in my kitchen on a flat concrete floor using a simple 3mm foam underlay about 12 years ago. The floor has lasted well considering it was the wrong underlay with no signs of any damp issues at all. Changing the floor to a better quality laminate for decorative reasons and I am going to use some foil backed underlay as I know I should have done in the first place.

Its a north facing kitchen so always has a chilly floor first thing but will the correct foil barrier underlay raise the floor temp a few degrees ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, thats what I thought. Better off getting a plinth heater if that was the main purpose.

Even 50mm of kingspan wouldn't make much difference thermally. Most houses are heated by warm air, which has he annoying habit of rising. Couple it with cold draughts under doors at floor level and there isn't really anything that can heat the floor, so the big slab of concrete adopts he temperature of the substrate/the ventilated floorboards adopt the temperature of the outside air..
And if you have underfloor heating throughout it runs at so low a temperature that the human body wouldn't really perceive it as warm, otherwise the house would cook (unless heat loss is ridiculously high)

For warm feet, slippers are a lot cheaper than installing electric heating mats, but the electric mats are a reasonable option if you're relaying the floor and only want it for heating at a couple of times a day as a supplement to the main heating system rather than a replacement of it

Sponsored Links
Not a fan of wet underfloor heating although I know it works but its not very efficient. Best solution is to move to Antigua. But although we have a reasonably insulated house the floor is naturally colder first thing. Slippers or socks as you say ....... :)

Curious to know what you mean by "not very efficient" ?

From the stats I've read its more expensive to run on a day to day basis than radiators but not a lot saying equal. Decoratively nice and effective once warmed up as that takes time. I'd have it myself to be fair and pay the extra for install

Although I've seen other reports saying the significantly higher cost of install needs to be factored in the overall costs. But possibly its toss a coin but it does take longer to get a room warm of course with lower water temp . But it is becoming popular

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back