Best climber for hiding a wire fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden backs onto land owned by TFL - probably 20-30m before you get to the tube line.

It was pretty much a jungle, but basically full of medium sized trees and shrubs, plenty of nettles - the usual suspects, but hey - it was green, and it screened the railway line. We (like neighbours either side) kept a "barrier strip" clear of undergrowth so we had no problems with stuff invading, it was a handy place for the compost heap etc.

A few months ago the railway decided that one security fence between us and the track was not enough so they came and cleared the land, felled trees, and put up a 2nd fence about 5m from our boundary. So now when we look out we have this wonderful vista of a bright green mesh fence, 2m high with 3 strands of barbed wire on top of that.

We'd like to plant something which will grow up it and make it look less like we now live in a prison.

Suggestions? Someone I know did suggest Russian Vine, but having done some research I think that even with 5m between our garden and it that might be risky, particularly as we do want to use that 5m space for compost heap & shed.

Would like a perennial evergreen, and something we can get started now by scattering seed. Preferably not expensive seed, as there's about 30-40m of fence to cover.

Sponsored Links
It's the scattering seed bit that's tricky. There are plenty of vigorous evergreen climbers but I wouldn't give much for their chances just scattering the seed. They usually need a little bit of TLC to get them going.

Clematis armandii, passiflora, lonicera henryi, if you've got TFL as a neighbour, presumably you're in London so you might get away with eccremocarpus if it's a sheltered spot. There's a few climbing roses that are semi-evergreen or hold on to some of their leaves in winter. Could make the space productive and plant a few grapevines. Or hops! If you know someone with an ivy-covered wall, beg some cuttings. They'll root really easily just sticking them in the soil and watering until they get going.

Nicky's Nursery is good here's the climbers seed page.

I've got loads of ivy elsewhere.

For some reason that never occurred to me.

:oops:

PS - when I said "scatter" I did mean "sow fairly evenly, cover with soil & mulch and water well".

Sponsored Links
Job done then!

I'm a fruit and veg grower so if I had all that wire to cover, I'd use at least a part of it for climbing beans and squashes, and a section for sweet peas for cut flowers. Saves all the faffing around with cane wigwams.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back