Best fixing for roof window trimmers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I don't mean the standard practise, what I am doing is increasing the height above the rafters by about 100mm to accommodate a warm roof (pitched). The over rafter insulation plus the counter battens means I have to add timber to the top of the rafters to lift the windows to the new height.

I don't think smacking a nail through that kind of depth would work, so would you rely on careful skew nailing? Or drilling and counter sinking screws or something else?

I just get the impression that trying to hold a piece of timber on top of a rafter whilst skew nailing it accurately is going to be a challenge! So just checking with you guys whether I'm missing something first.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
get an impact gun and screw using say 4" screws no pre drilling just go straight in.

I'm guessing you mean at an angle Gregers, like skew nailing? As a four inch screw wouldn't reach through the total depth.

I've got six windows to do at different times so hiring wouldn't be that cost effective. Would the 'manual' version be to drill and screw at an angle?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Same problem really, it's a one off on my own place, so hire/purchase cost is disproportionate to the requirement.

I'm assuming that the powered options you mentioned make the operation easier given the slightly awkward nature of trying to fix a relatively deep section onto a narrow face.

Is it mainly a time saving thing when compared to doing it manually or is it just a bit of a ham fisted way of going about it? I have time on my side, just didn't want to make a pigs ear of the fixing!

So given my tool limitations, is screwing at an angle the best way to fix?

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back