Best flooring for accessibility to under floor electrics and plumbing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom floorboards are a mess after years of different plumbing and electric jobs done, the floorboard the toilet sits on itself is now wobbly. I was thinking of getting the whole floor replaced as part of a redo of the bathroom, what I'd like though is all the plumbing joints to be easily accessible and not been needing a flooring saw or breaking tongues to get to them - I also need to think about what flooring to put over the replacement boards, something easy to pull up and put back without damaging I suppose. Other people must have this similar concern, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
My ex FIL relaid his bedroom in chipboard many years ago. He routed his cables and pipe runs to run in the gaps between adjoining joist spaces and cut the boards to suit for easy removal.
For floor covering you could possibly use cushioned vinyl strips that could be removed to access the panels below.

My bathroom floorboards are a mess after years of different plumbing and electric jobs done, the floorboard the toilet sits on itself is now wobbly. I was thinking of getting the whole floor replaced as part of a redo of the bathroom, what I'd like though is all the plumbing joints to be easily accessible and not been needing a flooring saw or breaking tongues to get to them - I also need to think about what flooring to put over the replacement boards, something easy to pull up and put back without damaging I suppose. Other people must have this similar concern, any ideas?
I doubt anyone would be concerned about leaving access to underfloor, unless you plan changing the pipe work and electric circuits every year.

The only way to deal with this effectively would be to run all of your wiring and water/CH pipework within conduit. This is done on some commercial jobs, but is a very expensive approach

Sponsored Links
2 possible methods, depends what boards you use.
Timber tongue and groove- cut short boards (so joints are across joists and the bit you want to lift out doesn't go under skirting boards, sink plinths etc) then remove the bottom part of the groove (easiest with a router) on the 1st lifting section (I usually make sections 2 or 3 boards wide so the job isn't keyhole surgery). Then fix a batten or noggin under the join where you've removed the bottom of the tongue.
Chipboard (not wise in a bathroom), plywood, OSB etc. Jigsaw a trap where you want it. Cut sides of the trap to land on joists, batten or noggins across top and bottom joins to support.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back