Best for central heating? Gravity-fed vs pressurised system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We are undergoing a major refurb including underfloor heating in a new extension, new boiler etc. We currently have conventional gas boiler with a gravity-fed system, with a shower-pump for the showers. Current hot water works okay for us, central heating not warm enough - but I think that's a combination of sludgy rads, too small rads, old inefficient boiler and complete lack of insulation (all to be addressed as part of refurb).

However, builder is now saying we need to swap to pressurised system (involving expensive megaflow, new 25mm mains water feed, and a whole bunch of new pipework/re-routing) otherwise our central heating will never be satisfactory and won't cope with the U/F heating etc.

As a heating ignoramus, I'm confused - I understand the benefits of a megaflow/pressurised system for the hot water but will a sealed system really make a difference to the central heating??? Can't find anything on-line that suggests this. All tips/opinions gratefully received - thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back