Best method of pointing indian sandstone patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After some advice on pointing, I'm about to lay approx 27m2 of Indian sandstone and have been debating with myself the pros and cons of traditional pointing versus the polymeric brush in types. Not fussed about the cost of the polymeric ones if they are better but seems to be conflicting reviews! Rompox seems to be well recommended but still a few sceptics out there, but I guess this is the internet!

Can anyone tell me about their experiences particularly with indian sandstone as I understand this stains easily so don't want to ruin once laid...

many thanks in advance
Jack

Sponsored Links
I use flowpoint but its really a commercial product as it requires the right kit for cleaning up.

If money isn';t an isue the two part resin mortars like rompox d1 or gtfk vdw800, are the top spec products and can be completely trusted.

Of the one part polymerics marshalls weatherpoint 365 seems to be well though of by most of the gang on paving expert. but really its only 5 year old or so so long term is not known.

There are others such as easyjoint that i can't offer any opinion on but is a 1 part polymeric like weatherpoint 365.

I have used and regretted rompox easy which is their one part poly and had to rake it out on 3 sandstone jobs. Its crap really.

I have used rompox d1 which is a 2 part epoxy on a few jobs and its a whole different ball game its a great product.

Dont be too worried about normal sand and cement staining almost all sandstone can be cleaned with acid for slight mishaps[/code]

Thanks for the reply, would you say the best way to point with sand and cement would be with's wet mix in a mortar gun or will this make the potential staining worse?

Sponsored Links
if your going to go with sand and cement definately use a gun. Trying to point with semi dry is more prone to failure if its too dry or your not used to doing it.

A good wet mortar through a gun will be much better.

I use plastering sand and make sure you use plasticiser. Depending on whats available locally your plastering sand may be too coarse and block the gun but it will be stronger in the long run than building sand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back