Best Option for Chimney breast?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just had the survey back on a house I am buying - one of the comments was that the chimney breast had been removed upstairs but the remaining breast in the loft wasn’t adequately supported. I would like to rectify this shortly after we move in but was hoping for some advice. We are planning to convert the loft within the next two years so I was wondering would it be worth us removing the chimney breast in the loft instead re-supporting it? obviously this would have the added advantage of more space in the loft however if it is a lot more to do than the fix then I may not bother. I appreciate that every job is different, and it is very hard to say……….but approximately what would be the difference in cost of removing the loft chimney compared to re-supporting it.

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
obvoiusly the chimney is now redundant.I would personally remove it completely.Starting at the top working down once below roof you can felt battern and retile very easily.It may take you a while if you do it yourself cost would be minimal just disposing of bricks or re using for another project.

Would be a messy job but atleast it would be contained in the loft

Hi,
Thanks for the reply - forgot to say though it is a semi-detached house so this wouldn’t be possible would it?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, Yes you can't really remove half a chimney can you.
Supporting the rest of the stack is not the best option as it tends to set up stresses in the party wall which weren't intended, but you don't really have another choice, unless you reinstate the chimney breast as it was, and I don't suppose you want to do that.
I would guess that the brest was removed without the correct permissions being sought, as usual. :rolleyes:
However that is by the by, as suing the scoks off the idiot who did it isn't an option either.
So just supprt it on brackets or with a lintol at floor level etc, whatever works. and make the best of a bad job.
It might be worth having a peek to see if next door has still got their chimney breast in place.
The rear chimney breast in my back kitchen has been bemoved up to first floor level and I have never done anything about it as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back