Best shelf material for Spur shelving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at Spur shelving over a length of 1800mm.

Height of Spur uprights 1000mm (ideally 3 uprights in total). Supporting 3 shelves of 300mm depth and 18mm depth.

Metal shelves out of the question – too expensive. Looking for recommendations please for shelf material, would block pine be suitable for 1800mm length?

Any suitable ideas appreciated - thank you.

Sponsored Links
Ply. 18mm is very strong (but heavy). I mostly use 12mm which can sag a bit in the middle under heavy toolboxes unless you position them over the centre support. You can attach battens to the edges to stiffen it.

You can probably get it cut to shelf size where you buy it by the sheet.

Remember to allow the ends to extend beyond the supports. I think it is 15% or so of shelf length, but the recommendation somes with the Spur parts.

500mm will still sag somewhat. If you want to calculate how much then use the Sagulator. For bookshelves or anything carrying weight I'd stick to spomething like 300mm centres as then cheap 15/18mm MFC (Contiboard, etc) can be utilised

Scrit

Thanks JohnD and Scrit. I've looked at the Sagulator before from one of your posts - very useful.

The shelving will be used in a garage if that should make a difference to the material used?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
DIYerHELP said:
I've looked at the Sagulator before from one of your posts - very useful
:LOL:

In a garage I'd try to use more uprights and I'd use pine shelving sealed with something like polyurethane varnish or gloss paint. Garages are unheated and in winter tend to have soggy cars parked in them :rolleyes: . Over time MFC and plywood shelves will take on moisture from the air and the sag will be excentuated. In my experience ex-1in pine planks suffer less in a potentially damp environment, although at 500mm between centres they will still sag over time.

Scrit

Scrit said:
Garages are unheated and in winter tend to have soggy cars parked in them

I don't understand.

Do you mean there are people who put "cars" in them?

Scrit said:
JohnD said:
Scrit said:
Garages are unheated and in winter tend to have soggy cars parked in them

I don't understand.

Do you mean there are people who put "cars" in them?
:rolleyes: :LOL: :eek:

Yes. Silly isn't it, really?

Scrit

so.... let me get this straight; they take out all the boxes of crap and pile them... where? And then put a perfectly waterproof car... indoors?

That's a wee bit odd, innit? :confused: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back