Best TV/film drunk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has been a good hour or two since we had a very random thread started, so here comes another one. ;)

It is my opinion from watching TV and films that many actors have never been to a party, a pub or a park in their life. Despite the fact that probably 90% or more of the adult population of this country have got bladdered at some point in their life, some actors are rubbish at pretending to have had a few... So I can only assume they've never had so much as a shandy. :confused:

So, who do you think is good at acting drunk, who is bad, and what is the most memorable sloshed scene that comes to mind?

For me, I think Joan Sims (the dumpy blonde from most of the Carry On films) is probably the best stage drunk I have ever seen. I saw "Carry on Teacher" the other night and would not have been surprised if she had actually sat outside a pub at closing and watched people stagger up the street!

For bad ones, I remember watching "Grange Hill" some years ago when someone became very unconvincingly wobbly. Was almost as pants as the time the dorky kid accidentally took LSD.

Most memorable drunk scene, that one in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, where a big Himalayan guy is drunk under the table by the leading lady of the film. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
George Best did very well in that programme, and Ollie Reed in that film........oh! They weren't acting! :LOL:

They say that "Drunk" is the most difficult to act, I think Paul whitehouse does a great job of it.
rowleybirkina-794862.jpg

hes probably one of the best comedians around today (in my opinion) :LOL:

Richardp said:
They say that "Drunk" is the most difficult to act, I think Paul whitehouse does a great job of it.

hes probably one of the best comedians around today (in my opinion) :LOL:

Here, here to that, Easily the best drunk around :!:

Sponsored Links
Richard Briars in the good life tops my list as one of the most cringe making pieces of acting ever. I don't think I've ever seen a less convincing drunk scene in my life. So bad as to be embarassing.

Just a slight off thread. Why do actors think that a cough sounds like a chunder. It's an anatomic imposibility to cough while you are chucking up, yet, whenever the script calls for a huey, they cough (or even sillier shout) instead. :eek:

Do they shout...." most sincerely, folks"while making gurgling noise :?: and that`s why it`s called a Hughie :rolleyes: well, you do go green :eek: Lee Marvin in The Wild One. mad as a box o` weasels

Richardp said:
They say that "Drunk" is the most difficult to act,

I had never heard that, but it makes sense!

I remember seeing Paul Whitehosue explaining that character in a TV interview: apparently it was some guy he met whilst fishing, who spoke exactly like the character. :LOL:

Of course he was very, very drunk at the time ;)

A while back at work, someone said to me "This week, I will mostly..." at which I giggled and commended their reference to "Jessie's Diets"... turned out they had never seen "The Fast Show". :LOL:

very good thread ... as a drunk knows one .. lol

I have seen some many films that are oustanding in the Leading man , second man ...third man as a true drunk , cant say .. to even ask the leading man , a couple spring to mind ,

Robert Downey Junior , 80s teen film ,after midnight I think

Dianne Wiest , Drunks

Richard Burton, many films

an surprising Oliver Reed .... on films ......EARLY YEARS VERY RADA PROFESSIONAL/NON DRINKER

where if you read he wasnt a great boozer , he tried an failed ... to the Royal Marine Commandos ..lol

Best every drunk EVER portrayed in a film was done by Willie Ross.

Willie Ross played the drunk dad in --Rita, Sue and Bob Too--- 1986

Absolutley brilliant and funny film with great performances from a bunch of unknowns which captured that time i think.

Sadly Willie Ross died in an accident at home 5 years a go.

Freddie said:
Best every drunk EVER portrayed in a film was done by Willie Ross.

Willie Ross played the drunk dad in --Rita, Sue and Bob Too--- 1986

I'd forgotten about him, he really was good. "I want you two out of it." :) :)

Actually i watch that film over and over again it's so un-pc it's great and the bloke who played the Pakistani played a blinder aswell.

Shame Willi died i could see him in a few other films playing the same kind of part ---brilliant !

Sponsored Links
Back