Best underlay for noise reduction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some guidance on what type of underlay to get upstairs. The main aim would be to reduce noise impact and secondly airborne sound (heat insulation and comfort would just be a bonus although I guess they go hand in hand with my 2 main requirements).

Currently there sits a worn out underlay with a thin carpet on top. Underneath all this are typical wooden planks (which I'll check are screwed in tight to joists when I do acquire new underlay). The floor is 15 by 12 foot.

I've taken a look at the web page below and I guess the one that stands out as doing the best job seems to also be amongst the cheapest - "AirLuxe cellular Sapphire Supreme underlay" at £28.99 for 15 sq m - so I am thinking too good to be true and hence asking for some advice!

http://www.floor-site.com/products.asp?cID=15&ctab=1

Matthew

Sponsored Links
I've never used it, but if it were me I'd be taking a punt on this stuff.
Plus overboarding the existing floor with hardboard won't hurt (for sealing any gaps)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Just done a bit more research by ringing www.floor-site.com.

They told me the the best underlay for noise impact & reduction would be "Tredaire 7th Heaven Dreamwalk 11mm underlay" at £44.99 square m. They also said that between the floorboards and Tredaire underlay I should lay Tuplex underlay (2mm thick). This second layer was mentioned after I said there is a bedroom beneath the room in question hence maximum sound impact reduction required.

I was also advised that it is best to use a spray adhesive on the edges of both underlays when securing them down so that there is no movement - rather than using staples. My only concern with that would be how difficult is it going to be in years to come ripping it all up with the damage (if any) it causes to floorboards when it's ended it's lifespan.

Any thoughts, anyone?

at £44.99 square m.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Yeh. Bloody pricey is my first thought. :eek:

What sort of impact noise are you concerned about, does the bedroom double as a blacksmith's forge?

The eBay stuff would give you 15sqm for the price of 1.5 sqm of the posh stuff. I reiterate, worth a punt?

Sponsored Links
Sorry it should have read £44.99 for 15 sq m - which is competitive with ebay. The Tuplex comes in at £2.20 per sq m.

I am hoping to rent the room out, and with my bedroom being directly below, I want to mitigate against someone who is as heavy footed as an elephant.

I am hoping to rent the room out, and with my bedroom being directly below, I want to mitigate against someone who is as heavy footed as an elephant.

Make a rule for your new tenant.

All outdoor shoes to be removed on entering!

Also turn down anyone who looks like an elephant :LOL:

(Still do the hardboard thing though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back