Best value place to buy artificial grass

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some artificial grass to put down In an area of my front garden.
Any good value recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Whilst not wanting to be a naysayer... we went with fake grass for our back garden. We did the compacted MOT followed by porcelain "dust" and a "foam sub-base". We hired a compactor from Travis Perkins.

Each roll was less than the with of the garden. We now have gaps appearing where the two rolls meet, and creases where the thinner section runs and butts up to the wider section.

I didn't source the materials, but, she what what gives me that look doesn't buy tat.

If you go single width rolls, then cool. If not, expect movement years down the line- and yes, we used the U shaped pegs to hold it down.

I don't regret going down that path, but it really isn't "maintenance free". From time to time, I have to use a pressure washer to "cut" away persistent weeds.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Whilst not wanting to be a naysayer... we went with fake grass for our back garden. We did the compacted MOT followed by porcelain "dust" and a "foam sub-base". We hired a compactor from Travis Perkins.

Each roll was less than the with of the garden. We now have gaps appearing where the two rolls meet, and creases where the thinner section runs and butts up to the wider section.

I didn't source the materials, but, she what what gives me that look doesn't buy tat.

If you go single width rolls, then cool. If not, expect movement years down the line- and yes, we used the U shaped pegs to hold it down.

I don't regret going down that path, but it really isn't "maintenance free". From time to time, I have to use a pressure washer to "cut" away persistent weeds.
Have had artificial grass in the back garden for 13 years and it's been brilliant.
Still looking great.
Just looking at covering an area in the front garden with a 5m wide roll, so no joins.

Sponsored Links

Sounds like a badly laid grass, laid mine in three areas, on top of existing lawn , on concrete and on prepared compacted sand , non moved or creased.
For the OP , https://www.grass247.co.uk/ are pretty cheap though my recent purchase was from local builders merchant who came in cheaper than even my son in laws company ( a carpet wholesaler ).
Wide variety of qualities so always get samples .

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sounds like a badly laid grass, laid mine in three areas, on top of existing lawn , on concrete and on prepared compacted sand , non moved or creased.
For the OP , https://www.grass247.co.uk/ are pretty cheap though my recent purchase was from local builders merchant who came in cheaper than even my son in laws company ( a carpet wholesaler ).
Wide variety of qualities so always get samples .

How can you lay it badly?

MOT, porcelain dust, a whacker, foam membrane. Butt up the fake grass, drive in the green coloured U shaped pegs in at the joints. It was fine for the first 4 or five years, so please tell me why the gaps have become very pronounced, and why are there creases in the thinner section.

Unless you are able to give me a definitive answer, I am going to discount your reply,

Our neighbours had it done about 10 years ago. Big job, several layers of sub base going down about 8”. Looked perfect then and still looks perfect mow - you can’t tell the difference from real grass. Maintenance wise, the neighbour has to sweep it and they have a dog so they have to get the hose and disinfectant out when it has a bit of, er, tummy trouble.

On the other hand, my MIL had some cheap shyte thrown down, it crackles when you walk on it, weeds are coming through it everywhere, there are dents in it where a window cleaner placed his ladder 5 years ago that just won’t pop back up and overall, it looks like a greengrocers shelf.

I would personally never have it - I prefer the look, feel and smell of grass, especially when it’s freshly cut but it looks like if you do have it done, it all comes down to preparation and quality of the stuff you put down.

Thanks for all your replies and interesting discussions and views folks but simply just wanted to ask if anyone could recommend some good suppliers.
For various reasons I've had artificial grass in the back garden for 13 years and been very happy with it. Still looks great and does what we need it to do and certainly doesn't need replacing yet.
The front garden has been a continual headache that I've got fed up of trying to rectify.
Anyway, that's my story.
Who can recommend some good suppliers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back