best way to clear 11 metres of hedge and trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm after some advice as per the title please. I've got 11 metres of hedge and trees I'd like to rip out between my garden and the neighbours and put a fence in.

Neighbour is friendly and happy for it to come down as it's a monumental pain maintaining it for both of us.

Access isn't great so a mini digger is unfortunately out of the question, so I guess a chainsaw is the best equipment, any recommendations for which and what's the best way of getting the trees out roots stump and all?

I won't be doing it in one hit so time or speed isn't a massive problem.

Cheers

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_124321_121.jpg
    IMG_20210705_124321_121.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20210705_124303_811.jpg
    IMG_20210705_124303_811.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20210705_124143_166.jpg
    IMG_20210705_124143_166.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Chainsaw and a few trips to the dump.
Then a pick, a spade and 2 strong men to dig the roots out.
Then a crate of beer, voltarol cream and painkillers for a week to deal with the broken backs...

A contractor with a shredding trailer will be quickest and neatest. Worth the money, I think.

Presumably it is possible to hire a big petrol-driven shredder if you have no truck access. The shreddings can be composted or used as rough mulch. They pack down into a much smaller space than the tree occupied.

It is possible to kill a stump by brushing glyphosate concentrate over the cut surfaces immediately, while the sap is still running. Once dead and dry it can be burned using an air blower with steel tube into the depth.

There are 3 ways to use a chainsaw

1. After proper training and supervision has led to the acquiring of the right skills
  2. In ways that risk serious life-changing or even life-ending injuries
  3. By watching someone else do it

Sponsored Links
I had our very tall conifer 17 trees took down and then a stump grinder with a professional team got rid of everything, large renovator went the the line where the trees stud now returned to garden and lawn.

Job done in two days.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately getting anything in other than something man portable isnt possible. Long story but raised garden up stairs, mine and friendly neighbour's properties extended to boundaryso his is effectively a terrace. It's a hard no from my other neighbour and still have the issue with the stairs.

Getting rid of the waste isn't a massive issue as tips nearby or even save it for bonfire night.

I'll get myself down to one of the sheds for some hardware.

Tracked machines will climb steps, assuming there's nothing else stopping it.

Looks a nice hedge of either beech or hornbeam, with a few weed trees in it?
Take out the trees, and get the hedge back in to shape. Then it would only be like a morning's work for someone to trim it once a year. It will outlast any fence, looks nicer, cheaper, better for wildlife, air quality etc etc

I had our very tall conifer 17 trees took down and then a stump grinder with a professional team got rid of everything, large renovator went the the line where the trees stud now returned to garden and lawn.

Job done in two days.

How much?

Andy

Maybe cut down the large trees, leave the stumps. That will give access to tidy up the hedge. Either the stumps will rot, and provide habitat for beetles, woodlice, fungi, or shoots will spring up which can be managed as part of the hedge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back