Best way to concrete 6 x 6 area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am finally going to put a 4m x 3m posh shed (garden room) at the end of our long thin garden. I bought (and dismantled) a second hand Dunster House one which will form the backbone of it (it is the type with 28mm inner and outer walls filled with 70mm insulation).

I want to concrete (or pave, or anything else you can suggest) an area about 6m x 6m at the end of our garden which will have the posh shed, a normal garden shed and also be used for storage. There is an existing 2m x 3m concrete base that an old metal shed sits on. Access is a single path to the end of the garden which is the best part of 100m from the road.

Am I best concreting the whole area or just the 4m x 3m posh shed base and then laying paving on the rest? If concreting the whole area could I do it in one go? Would rebar be required? And how on earth would you get the concrete up to the end of the garden?

Thanks in advance!
Jim
IMG_3797.JPG IMG_3796.JPG IMG_3795.JPG

Sponsored Links
If it were me, I would concrete the whole area rather than do it as separate jobs.

6x6 can easily be done in one session, we done 30sq meters in one go last year for my garage and it was down within an hour! That was with 3 barrows goes to and throw and 2 tamping it, and for the cost of it, mesh wouldn't hurt.

Glad I'm not the only one to buy and dismantle a dunster log cabin. How much did you get it for?
They're very nice buildings.

Thanks screech. What mesh do I need and how do I do it? Is 100mm the right depth?

My main worry is the time it would take to unload 3.6 cubic meters and barrow 100m down the garden.

I'm not sure I got the best deal ever on the cabin but I was keen to get it done this summer. It was £1,000 and then another £180 for van hire and diesel for the weekend (it took me two days to dismantle and offload by myself). It included the electrics and lights although I will need to replace some of the tongue and groove floor slats and some chipboard on the roof. My plan is to to plasterboard and skim the inside. I was considering a log burner but am now edging towards a second hand air source heater/cooler. Any tips from your build?

Sponsored Links
100mm should be fine and mesh is a good idea as its very cheap. A142 would be fine. It comes in 8ftx16ft sheets though so you will need something to cut it with to transport it, the merchant might do this for you but lots are funning about cutting mesh on their premises for safety reasons. Decent bolt cutters are more than up to the job.

100m is a fair old run, Can you fit a small dumper? If not the secret would be as many people as possible. definately at least 3 barrowing and then i'd say it would take 40 mins-ish. You may have to pay a waiting charge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back