best way to cover ceramic wall tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to lease a small shop that used to be a hairdressers. The interior walls therefore are tiled from floor to ceiling with ceramic wall tiles.
Is there a cost effective way of covering over these tiles without the need to remove them & re-plaster the walls.

I know you can get types of 8x4 wall board that can be applied with contact adhesive & wondered if anyone had used them? where they got them & an approx cost.

Would be grateful for any type of help with this matter.

Sponsored Links
It will depend on how sound/secure the existing tiles are to whether it is advisable to leave tiles on and cover up.

Your options are:
Removes tiles and do any remedial work to wall
Dot'n'Dab (stick plaster boards over them)
Batten wall out and screw up boards
Bond and plaster to tiles.
The cost would depend on area you are covering.
Material cost per sq meter for dot'n'dab about £4.50, for bond and plaster about £3.80.
Some plasterers may charge by day or by sq meter depending on the ease of the work.

I would personally rip them off, then it would be depending on the wall types, to what type of damage would be caused. If base coat and plaster the damage can be limited, if the walls are of plasterboard the damage can be substantial and often means removing them also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back