Best way to fit a shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im interested to have the opinions of plumbers in the trade on the best way to lay a shower tray the floor is solid so would be best to use breese blocks bedded on compo then put a marine ply ontop of the breese blocks but what im not so sure on and have had varied responses from different people is how to lay the shower tray onto the plywood so would appreciate some advice

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

ive used a resin shower tray with feet before, just curious of the methods used as i know many plumbers use sand and cement to bed the tray down but wondered if this causes any problems later on due to the expansion and movement in the ply does it cause the mortar to crack

My x ray vision never found a crack in the mortar under a bedded shower tray ;) Seen a few on legs that cracked when a glass bottle was dropped in it .

My x ray vision never found a crack in the mortar under a bedded shower tray ;) Seen a few on legs that cracked when a glass bottle was dropped in it .

why would you have a glass bottle in the shower?

i was told that using plasterbaord adhesive to bed it down worked well but wasnt to sure this would stick to the timber properly or maybe floor tile cement adhesive with a latex additive so it will move with the timber

Whatever you use under the base, make sure you've got access to assemble the waste when you plonk the tray in place, and for any subsequent cleaning out of the inevitable blockages (top access waste fittings can save hassle later)

The sand/cement mix holds the tray up more than sticks it down, but it does a pretty good job of that too. The idea is the sand conforms to the exact shape of the individual tray and the flooring uderneath, so the whole tray is evenly supported so it can't rock or move about. The cement just holds the sand in place.

The sealant around the tray should cope with any small movement from swelling of the timber, which should stay dry anyway. If it doesn't, there are other problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back