Best way to get telephone line to new build property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BT are asking for a hell of lot money to add new connection to our new build. We have already wired the house with telephone cable and left a about a meter of cable outside near the roof so they can connect it from the "DP" I think thats what they call it.

I rang the post office to see how much it would cost and it was a lot cheaper than BT for a new connection as they all use openreach.

What are the best options?

Also can I get them to move our neighbours telephone cable from one "DP" to another as it runs right across our property?

Sponsored Links
Can you install an under ground duct, with draw cord, from the new build to or very close to the base of the DP to ? If so you might get a reduction in price and get a neater installation. Or maybe lay the underground cable directly in a trench yourself and they connect it ( as we did with cable BT supplied )

Also can I get them to move our neighbours telephone cable from one "DP" to another as it runs right across our property?

Depends on the deeds of the two properties but you may ( repeat may ) be able to require that there is proof of a way leave ( permission ) for the cable to pass over your property. Very often there is an implied wayleave "for all services under or over adjoining property"" , but not always. Some deeds stipulate specifically water, soil electricity and gas services will have a wayleave but omit to mention telephone service. In which case you might have a case to ask BT / OpenReach to re-route the neighbour's cable.

Depending on the layout you could then offer a wayleave across or under your property in return for a large discount on the cost of, at the same time, bringing a phone line to your house as they re-route the other cable.

When I spoke to the openreach guys they didnt say anything about underground cabling. They said the old cable had been left colied at the top of the "DP" and they would just reconnect to the new cable we installed.

The cable to our neighbours house goes directly passed a window as our build is a 2 storey house in between two bungalows. Before you ask the previous property was a 2 storey house, we just demolished and rebuilt.

I have had no problem with Virgin Media, they have supplied 50m of cable for free someone coming tomorrow to drop it off with ducting so we can lay it ourself and when we are ready for services to go in they will terminate and connect.

telecommunications act

10. (1) Subject to paragraph 3 above and the following provisions of this code, where any electronic communications apparatus is kept installed on or over any land for the purposes of the operator’s network, the operator shall, for the statutory purposes, have the right to install and keep installed lines which—

(a) pass over other land adjacent to or in the vicinity of the land on or over which that apparatus is so kept;

(b) are connected to that apparatus; and

(c) are not at any point in the course of passing over the other land less than 3 metres above the ground or within 2 metres of any building over which they pass.

(2) Nothing in sub-paragraph (1) above shall authorise the installation or keeping on or over any land of—

(a) any electronic communications apparatus used to support, carry or suspend a line installed in pursuance of that sub-paragraph; or

(b) any line which by reason of its position interferes with the carrying on of any business carried on on that land.

Sponsored Links
telecommunications act

10. (1) Subject to paragraph 3 above and the following provisions of this code, where any electronic communications apparatus is kept installed on or over any land for the purposes of the operator’s network, the operator shall, for the statutory purposes, have the right to install and keep installed lines which—

(a) pass over other land adjacent to or in the vicinity of the land on or over which that apparatus is so kept;

(b) are connected to that apparatus; and

(c) are not at any point in the course of passing over the other land less than 3 metres above the ground or within 2 metres of any building over which they pass.

(2) Nothing in sub-paragraph (1) above shall authorise the installation or keeping on or over any land of—

(a) any electronic communications apparatus used to support, carry or suspend a line installed in pursuance of that sub-paragraph; or

(b) any line which by reason of its position interferes with the carrying on of any business carried on on that land.

Erm so in layman's terms its means if the cable is more than 3m high from ground level or if its less than 2 meters from the actual building we cant request it to be moved to another DP?

Just spoke to BT and a new line will only cost me £30.00 when I transfer my telephone service from old property. Normal price is almost £130.00! So a nice saving there, if I took broadband then it will be free.

Just need to call them 4 weeks before moving and they will install the master socket and connect the line from the DP to the property.

Post office want £112 I think, all the work is carreid out Openreach anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back