Multiple BT Lines Over Single CAT5e To Patch Panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way for me to achieve this?

I am wanting to connect a CAT5e cable from the master BT telephone socket to my patch panel.

From what I understand it can be done by connecting the CAT cable straight into the master socket (punching in the cables into the socket) and then I can patch it up to 4 points on the patch panel to give me 4 telephone line extensions.

Is this correct? Does anyone have any better, easier, ideas for this?

Sponsored Links
You are not allowed to connect direct to a master socket. You must use a plug-in adapter (such as is provided by a Linebox front plate).

Ideally you would go through a Linebox faceplate filter rather than sending ADSL all round the house.

You can connect to as many phone sockets you want, but there's a limit on how many phones you can have plugged in at a time.

Have you considered a small PABX?

Thanks for the informative reply OwainDIYer!

So I need something that will convert a BT line to CAT5 then back to BT RJ11 cable or something.

Basically I want my ADSL router to reside in the comms cabinet.

So I guess I could use the CAT5 copper to transmit the telephone signals, then once is in the comms cabinet:

• Convert it back to analogue with something like a Mod-Tap adapter
    Connect a 4 way RJ11 modular splitter
    Connect the ADSL filter to one RJ11 module
    Connect the ADSL router to the filter
    Use a RJ11 to RJ45 cable to patch through various rooms throughout the house & then use a Mod-Tap to connect my telephone/fax

Does that make sense? Am I making it more complicated than it actually is, or am I just confused?

I am not sure if a PABX will be an overkill for my needs.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming you have a cat5 point next to your master socket? If so you could fit this to your master socket http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Sho...ID=3306&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping and connect the RJ11 outlet on it to your cat5 socket using http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1910 then once the unfiltered signal is in your patch panel use another of those cables to take it to a filter (and plug your router in). From the phone side of the filter take a regular phone cable, cut it and terminate the 'live' pair onto 4 unused cat5 ports. These ports now will have your phone signal on each and can be patched through to your desired points using regular patch cables.

Disclaimer, not endorsing that website, just used to illustrate.

You are not allowed to connect direct to a master socket. You must use a plug-in adapter (such as is provided by a Linebox front plate).

Ideally you would go through a Linebox faceplate filter rather than sending ADSL all round the house.

You can connect to as many phone sockets you want, but there's a limit on how many phones you can have plugged in at a time.

Have you considered a small PABX?

If it is a nte5 master socket,of course you are allowed to connect into it! :rolleyes:

What are you actually trying to achieve?
4 telephony extensions or 4 telephone AND broadband extensions?

If it is a nte5 master socket,of course you are allowed to connect into it! :rolleyes:

You are NOT allowed to connect into the BT-only terminals inside the Linebox rear part. You MUST use the plug-in front plate which provides a separation and test point between your wiring and BT's line. Which is what I said.

It doesn't have to be plug in, it can be wired behind the front if you wish.

You are NOT allowed to connect into the BT-only terminals inside the Linebox rear part. You MUST use the plug-in front plate which provides a separation and test point between your wiring and BT's line. Which is what I said.
If thats what you meant then you should explain it better!
Why didn't you say "you can connect into an nte5 if you connect to the terminals on the removable lower front faceplate"? Much simpler and easier to understand than
"You are not allowed to connect direct to a master socket. You must use a plug-in adapter (such as is provided by a linebox frontplate)"

What I have done is sinilar to urself and I achieved it like this.

I used CW1308 from bt nteD on the ab terminals to y coms cabinet in the loft. CAT5 can be used or if u have an rj45 socket next to the nte then u could krone on the blue pair onto 2 and 5 and an orange onto 3.

Then at the other end I used a idc krone strip to loop in and out the 3 wires for 3 extensions if u use an rj45 socket then u will need to cut the end off in the cabinet to be able to connect ur other patch leads together using a krone strip or crimps etc. The plug the other leads into you patch panel going out to your sockets.

At the other rj45 sockets you will need to use balluns for the telephones to olug into. You will also need to use adsl filters unless..

You could filter the adsl at the coms cabinet to all sockets but just ensure you plug the modem into a socket that is unfiltered.

Hope it makes sense as on the blacberry and I know the spelling is carp.

Rob

As others have said, if you have one of those split face plates, then you can legally remove the lower half and wire to the back of it. That part of the plate actually plugs into the master socket - and that satisfies the "must be plugged in" requirement.

Ideally, get an ADSL filter that fits in place of the standard plate - this splits the ADSL from the internal wiring as far upstream as is practical and gives best results (speed) on your ADSL. However, many of these only have terminals on the back for the phone line - you want one with an extra pair of terminals for the ADSL. If you get one of these, then I'd suggest you wire it as follows :

Wire the Blue pair to the (filtered) phone line terminals - blue to 2, white/blue to 5. You should probably also connect the Orange to 3, but I don't think many phones actually use the ring line these days.
Connect the Green pair to the ADSL terminals (possibly labelled A&B as they connect direct to the unfiltered phone line).

If you can't find a filter with terminals for the unfiltered line, then you could bring out the Green pair and fit an RJ11 plug to go in the front of the plate, although it doesn't look as neat. What you aren't allowed to do is wire the Green pair directly to the A&B terminals on the back of the socket - though I suspect an awful lot are.

At the other end, connect the green pair to one socket for the ADSL modem. Just connect it direct, you don't need a filter.

Connect the Blue pair (and Orange) to as many sockets as you think you are likely to need. When using Krone punchdowns, if you turn off the cutter in the tool it's usually not hard to keep the wire intact and you can daisy chain it along several sockets without joins fairly easily. You can then patch the phone line to outlets as required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back