Structured Cabling RJ45 adapter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently installed some CAT5 structured cabling. BT have terminated 10 phone line pairs into a krone strip. I have cabled fom here to an Rj45 patch panel, each pair into pins 4 & 5 on each outlet. When I connect a phone via an RJ45 adapter into the patch panel, I get dial tone and can make calls.

Problem: No ringing on incoming calls. The adapter I have is a PABX Master, I think need the equivelent of a master phone socket to provide ringing, am i right in thinking I can get a "Master" adapter in non PABX form, and will this work ? What is the difference between PABX Master, Slave and Master ?

Sponsored Links
a PABX master generally means it has the ringing cap but doesn't have the protection circuits from a full master. So the phones should ring. (Though if the protection components aren't installed where the line comes in you should really incorporate them somewhere).

are you positive the adaptor you have is a PABX master and not a secondary.

are you sure you are connected to the correct pins (presumablly the supplier of your adaptor will have supplied a wiring diagram).

Are theese standard lines intended for direct connection of phones and not some weired kind of line intended for PABX use?

Thanks Plugwash.

The lines are BT featurelines, which basically provide PBX functionality, but from the BT exchange, and, AFAIK, are presented as norrmal PSTN circuits.

They terminate as just normal pairs (10 pair incoming cable) in what from memory is a boxcon 301.

I have kroned to each A&B leg in CAT5 cable and terminated on the RJ45 patch panel into pins 4&5 respectively (centre pins in the RJ45 sockets). I know I have the correct pins as I have dial tone. Again, from memory, reverse polarity causes phones to ring continuously, so think I have polarity correct.

I have left site but do have to return next week to finish. I will double check the adapter is a master. I can try reversing polarity. Another thought is that the phones are feature phones. When my mate at site tried an incoming call the feature phone wasn't plugged into mains, maybe needs to be to ring ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back