Telephone extention on patch panel

Better still, don't allow Sky to put their cabling in - put your own in and do it properly.

oh yes, I am going to get the sparks to connect things for me. My folks had sky installed a few yrs back, and the installer made a real mess of things.
But do use a good quality cable. That means a double screen (copper braid and copper foil) as a minimum. And stick to "full sized" cable which has considerably lower losses than the thin stuff (as you get in the small shotgun twin).

Found some Webpro WF100 cable that should be ok. I had already planed to setup a freeview connection to the multiswitch aswell as Sky. Was thinking about get Virgin cable laid at the same, as I need to have the master socket moved/new line installed. Not sure how that would work tho, as I am leaving VM for Sky. That way, if Sky becomes to expensive, I'll have VM, and FV as a backup. So I will have 3x for Sky+/FV in family room, 1x dining room for FV, each of the 4 bedrooms will have 3x for Sky+/FV.

Indeed, the data network will be as follows: 6x cat6 in family room, 2x cat6 in dining room, each of the 4 bedrooms will have 2x cat6 cables all connected to a switch. Along with 4 telephone sockets in the bedrooms, and 2 telephone sockets in the family room all connected via cat6 cable. It's gonna be a lot of cable.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it soon adds up doesn't it !
Bear in mind that your multiswitch will multiplex the FV signal down the same cable as the Sat feeds. They are at different frequencies so can share the same cable. At the equipment end, you use a diplexer to split them out again.
Some multiswitches can also take FM and DAB radio feeds and mix them in as well - these are the "7 input" types, 4 sat + UHF TV + FM Radio + DAB Radio.

So you only actually need 2x coax to each point - but it's better to have a spare and not need it than to need it and not have it.

So you only actually need 2x coax to each point - but it's better to have a spare and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Well, I was going by the example on this http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/multiswitches.htm Its says, that for Sky+/PVR you need twin cables from the multiswitch. I've read a couple of places, that you can get all the signals down the one cable. So I was gonna have 3, so I should be all Ok for the future.

Thanks

Its says, that for Sky+/PVR you need twin cables from the multiswitch.
You do.

However if you use an "integrated reception multiswitch" (most multiswtiches are) and "quadplex" wall plates then your two cables can cover terristrial TV and radio as well as sattelite.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back