BT Phone Issues

We had the same issue with a job it was designed to have a PABX but the buyers didn't want one so the bt points where connected together and this caused the noise ... Try removing the points , do a quiet line test and add them back in one by one it may be just one point with the issue, but I think you may end up fitting a pabx

I apologise if this is a stupid question, but how would I go about doing this?

Sponsored Links
Yeah the pink cable is cat6.

Stranded or solid core ? Tinned or bare copper ?

Stranded wire does not work with punch down IDC connectors. It makes connection to begin with but over time the joints will fail.

I wouldn't really use the term bodged. It is correctly installed

Correctly installed would be CW1308 from the NTE5 to the distribution frame where it would be terminated on a suitable connector.

//www.diynot.com/forums/alarms-cctv-telephones/cable.301478/page-2#2208250

You wouldn't need ISDN, you woud need a PBX with analogue lines, but digital extensions (not a hybrid type). Something like a NEC SL1100. You would need to use the digital ports on it, which would mean using only proprietary NEC key phones, not standard phones.

Interference from the mains in unlikely to affect all your wall outlets, and shouldn't affect your linemod plugged directly into the patch.

Did you try disconnecting the ringer wire like I suggested? That's one thing ruled then.

We had the same issue with a job it was designed to have a PABX but the buyers didn't want one so the bt points where connected together and this caused the noise ... Try removing the points , do a quiet line test and add them back in one by one it may be just one point with the issue, but I think you may end up fitting a pabx

From a BT line dial 17070 and select option 2.

Sponsored Links

From a BT line dial 17070 and select option 2.

Done that - and I've come to two conclusions. !. The humming heard after somebody speaks is on the BT line - I can pick it up right back to the mater socket. 2. The interference is being introduced on a run somewhere in the house, it is not present in the rack, but it is at the extensions

In your first post you said it doesn't happen at the master or the patch panel? It does now? Just not as extreme?

In your first post you said it doesn't happen at the master or the patch panel? It does now? Just not as extreme?

Yeah, it seems to be happening, but not as extreme. I think when I first tested it at the master I wasn't paying as much attention as I am now. I think it's best to summarise everything that is going on:

- At the master test socket, I am getting a hum and echo after someone speaks
- At the master filter, I am getting the same effects
- At the patch panel, the effect is slightly more noticeable
- At extensions the hum is considerably louder, and the line volume fades away, meaning that I can't hear the caller but they can hear me

It seems to me that this is a combination of internal wiring and the BT line itself not being great.

If it's any help:

The incoming BT line is an armoured cable, running approx. 15m underground from a new manhole BT built at the gate. That man hole is then connected to another which is another 20m or so away, and thats where the connection is made to the overhead lines. I'm last house on the line, approx. 3-4 mile cable from from the cabinet, and 5 mile in total from the exchange.

Sell your house and move from the sticks.

Only messing breney glad you finally got on here I told this was the best place to get answers

Sell your house and move from the sticks.

Only messing breney glad you finally got on here I told this was the best place to get answers

Haha you're glad to get me on here, less questions to you!

To avoid connection problems, there are replacement faceplates available which have both broadband and voice connections on the rear. (That is the lower, removable section of the plate). They ain't cheap, about £15 each IIRC. A quick web search has brought up http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm, but I am sure other suppliers are available.

Using one of these will allow the broadband and voice signals to be separated and sent to the relevant ports on the patch panel with greater ease.

To avoid connection problems, there are replacement faceplates available which have both broadband and voice connections on the rear. (That is the lower, removable section of the plate). They ain't cheap, about £15 each IIRC. A quick web search has brought up http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm, but I am sure other suppliers are available.

Using one of these will allow the broadband and voice signals to be separated and sent to the relevant ports on the patch panel with greater ease.

Well currently what I have is voice coming from the back of the BT NT5e, and ADSL coming from a RJ11 plugged into the ADSL out

He already has a vDSL filter (the best you can currently get) which uses the existing removeable lower half to terminate extension voice wiring, has an inbuilt RJ11 for the DSL, and also has a pair of UNfiltered (yes breney - a single pair :LOL: ) for the DSL, should you wish to distribute that to another RJ11 outlet somewhere (you wouldn't want to terminate it to a patch panel really).

VDSLfilter1.JPG

VDSLfilter2.JPG

newvdslfaceplate.JPG

He already has a vDSL filter (the best you can currently get) which uses the existing removeable lower half to terminate extension voice wiring, has an inbuilt RJ11 for the DSL, and also has a pair of UNfiltered (yes breney - a single pair :LOL: ) for the DSL, should you wish to distribute that to another RJ11 outlet somewhere (you wouldn't want to terminate it to a patch panel really).

VDSLfilter1.JPG

VDSLfilter2.JPG

newvdslfaceplate.JPG

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the two punchdowns for adsl. However, what does this all mean for my phone issues? How will I go about solving them?

Well, by the sounds of it, the first thing to do is report a noises line? You seem to have narrowed to that? Then take it from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back