Best way to go for new shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to be re doing our bathroom.
We want a decent powerful shower, and currently upstairs in the bathroom we have mains cold water and hot fed from the hot cylinder in the airing cupboard, and header tank in the loft. All the heating at the moment is done by a wood burner to heat the cylinder, or failing that by immersion heater.

I was thinking of either
A. Have a thermostatic mixer shower, and put a shower pump on the hot feed only, and use the cold at mains pressure.

B. use a pumped shower, and leave the hot supply into the shower as is on gravity, and mains cold.

I don't like mains showers, so don't want to go down that route. Thanks

Or is there something I have missed? Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Neither will work, you need equal pressures.
Get a twin impeller pump and a surrey flange, screw that into the top of your cylinder, take the hot feed out of that, draw your cold feed from your header tank thats feeding your hot water cylinder ( make sure you take your cold feed from below the height of the outlet for the cylinder )
take these hot and cold into your twin impeller pump, then to your shower.

Thanks danplumb. If I had a shower pump 2bar suitable for 2 shiwers twin impeller with two gravity fed 22mm coming in and two 22mm coming out and then t off with 15 to basin and shower would that be ok? Thanks chris

Sponsored Links
Caution. If you have a wood burner to heat hot cylinder there is a good chance you have uncontroled hot water temp. Most pumps are limited to 65 Deg C. There are ways round this with a thermostatic mixer B4 pump but it must be restiction free and free to vent back through system.

I see no issue with pumping gravity hot with a negative head single and cold mains provided pressures are similar/mixer will take imballance. It's not the nost common set up but not unheard of.

Cylinder fange always a good idea. Essex, Warix, S/flange, Stuart flange etc.

Not sure if your B option will work? speak to shower manufacture unless its a venturi type but unsure of there reliability.

Many options to mull over its just finding the right one for you/your plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back