Best way to prepare MDF for wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there any tips for wallpapering on to bare MdF? Do I need to use an MdF primer or I have seen others suggest pasting just the MdF and leaving for 24hours. Any thoughts from anyone experienced doing this? Ta

Sponsored Links
The best bet is to prime, although you don't necessarily need to use a specific MDF primer. A regular oil based or even water based will do the job as you are papering it.
The reason for painting first is to seal the MDF which will allow the paper to slide easier on application and also to stop it absorbing all the paste.
Personally, I wouldn't paste the MDF first but it might be ok.

One of the most important factors in good paperhanging is movement (slide), if it were me I would prime the mdf and when dry size with a thinned paste solution.

Dec

Hi thanks for the reply, what do you mean by size with a thinned paste, I know what a thinned paste means, just the term size? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The term size is in your case when the primer has dried just brush on a thinned coat of your paste over it. This will greatly benefit your paperhanging by allowing the wallcovering to more easily slide into place, it will also give you more open time and make your task a lot easier.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back