Best way to support/brace timber joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking at removing a stud wall on the ground floor. Above it the joists sit on this wall and overlap each other, they do not run the full length of the house.

All the walls upstairs are stud walls to.

My query is

Once I remove this stud wall I need to support the timbers somehow what would be the best way of doing this?

I dont think it warrants an rsj as there is no load above the wall its just a matter of bracing these timbers together whats the best to do this.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont think it warrants an rsj as there is no load above the wall its just a matter of bracing these timbers together whats the best to do this.
As its a load bearing partition then you need to support the floor above somehow and a steel beam may be the cheapest solution.. you cant just nail the floor joists together.. you could however relay the entire floor with joists designed to span the full width, but this would prob cost a lot more than a little beam..

If they overlap side by side then the stud wall will be supporting them so I think you'd need to install some sort of RSJ.
If the ends are butted together or half lapped it might be possible to use another joist bolted through the side of the existing joists to tie them together. This would need to be substantially long enough to bear the loads above it, ie over half the length of each joist it is connecting.

Judging by your post it sounds like you have the former situation.

Sponsored Links
Would I be able to use timber as a reinforcing joist or would it have to be steel and would there need to be any calcs from a structural engineer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back